Driving license renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving license renewal

So it's coming up to 10 years since I passed and I noticed last weekend that my license expires in June. I went to the Post Office to renew which was no hasle except they have to keep / send off the license?

Didn't seem correct to me. Plus I use it as ID, which is a bummer.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Make sure you take a photocopy of the licence before you send it off - they have a habit of losing groups and without proof they stay lost !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Aye, remember the Police Motorcyclist who lost his entitlement? He turned up for his re-test on a Police Motorcycle (350cc Trail bike with full lights and colours).
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
        I use it as ID, which is a bummer.
        You still need to use ID to buy booze?!

Lucky sod...

Seriously though, what happens if you don't renew? I assume you still have the right to drive, but can you get fined?
        Last edited by Wolfracer; 15 January 2012, 22:23.
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

When I was over in the UK last year I renewed my DL.
          The post office told me 3 days max.
          After 2 weeks (just before I was about to return home) I rang them and they said there was a problem with the address so they didn't send it out!
          I'm not sure what the problem was, I think it was postcode related.
          But they got it out to me the next day.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            You still need to use ID to buy booze?!

Lucky sod...

Seriously though, what happens if you don't renew? I assume you still have the right to drive, but can you get fined?
            If you don't renew, at 00:01 past midnight you lose all ability to drive a vehicle. Some kind of magic they have over you when they give you your license :/
            Seriously I don't know, probably a fine or something!

And nope, never got a chance to photo copy it although I have a post office receipt!
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
              When I was over in the UK last year I renewed my DL.
              The post office told me 3 days max.
              After 2 weeks (just before I was about to return home) I rang them and they said there was a problem with the address so they didn't send it out!
              I'm not sure what the problem was, I think it was postcode related.
              But they got it out to me the next day.

Thanks for this. I'll make sure I get it a few weeks before I'm due to leave England for Australia!
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                Driving whilst not in posession of a full driving licence. Ban and a fine.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The wife did hers online and 3 days later the new one was in the post. As long as you have sent it off, you can drive. Just annoys me that you have to pay £20for the privilege!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post

And nope, never got a chance to photo copy it although I have a post office receipt!

1. Pray they don't make a cock up

2. When they make a cock up pray they respond reasonably to your request to reinstate the missing groups - otherwise you is fawked !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Was gutted when I moved house and had to hand in my very worn and selotaped up paper license.

They old ones had a 50+ year expiry on them. The move to a card was a convenient way for the government to impose another backdoor tax on the populace, just as they do with the £100 a time passports.
                      Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

My passport is up next year! Just as well though, as I look like a 14 year old scrote.

And I had to pay £24.50 for the license!
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

When we got married the dvla lost our marriage certificate and would not be held responsible as they don't accept signed deliveries and just use the same excuse that they posted it back and it must be the post office at fault.
                          Watchdog have loads of complaints about them, even self addressed envelopes don't get returned. Passports are £77.50 now and we got to get 2........ more tax.......
                          Remember arrows are silent.....................
                          Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Originally posted by Shaft120 View Post
                            Was gutted when I moved house and had to hand in my very worn and selotaped up paper license.

They old ones had a 50+ year expiry on them. The move to a card was a convenient way for the government to impose another backdoor tax on the populace, just as they do with the £100 a time passports.
                            It was more to do with European harmonisation (and an attempt to introduce ID cards under another name) from what I recall when the last government had swept to power and they could do no wrong in the eyes of the public that voted them in...

Comment

Did mine through the post no hassel, but a rip off you have to pay £25 for the licence plus the cost of new photo £5.(especially as I dont look that different from 10 years ago )

Comment

Working...
                              X