Squeak, squeak, squeak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeak, squeak, squeak...

I've noticed my truck has a squeak coming from the O/S/F area. It only happens when manoeuvring slowly or stopped (it may happen at speed, but I can't hear it), happens from lock to lock, and when the suspension is bounced. It sounds like the bottom balljoint, but I can't be sure, the balljoint is only a few months old and has been greased to within an inch of its life.

Everything on the front suspension and hubs is new (Summer 2011) and is kept properly greased.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Albannach; 8 January 2012, 23:39. Reason: e Error
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Do you have braided metal brake lines?
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Yes.

Comment

One of my trucks had an annoying squeak/pinging noise, it was the lines brushing and banging on the shocks.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that. This noise is more constant though and sounds a bit like a really stiff scissor jack would make when trying to jack something up.

Comment

I had an annoying sqeak with much the same syptoms as you describe.

Took a while to find it. I eventually traced it to the ARB where it mounts
            to the chassis. New bush's stopped the sqeak.

Easy enough to check if thats the problem, just remove the two clamps
            that hold it to the chassis and give it a bounce.
            Still on a mission.

Comment

Wishbone bushes? something rubbing on steering column?

If you have any polybushes anywhere they can sqeak annoyingly if not covered in the white grease you get with them.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Baz - No ARBs on the front, so not that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Tony - No Poly bushes, I'll have a look at the steering column though. Wouldn't explain the bouncy squeaks? I hadn't considered the wishbone bushes, I'll give them a good looking at!

Comment

I've had torsion bar splines squeak, had to take them off, clean the splines up, grease and re-fit.
                  You could try some penetrating oil followed by spray grease.
                  What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Is yours lifted?
                    Check the front bumper is not touching the body.
                    mine squeaks as I think I made 2.001" drop brackets and now its just that tad bit too close.
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

It has a suspension lift, which I'm thinking may be causing the bottom balljoint to be overstressed. I'll unwind the the torsion bars when I get a chance.

The squeal/squeak is constant and only when turning the steering.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        I've noticed my truck has a squeak coming from the O/S/F area. It only happens when manoeuvring slowly or stopped (it may happen at speed, but I can't hear it), happens from lock to lock, and when the suspension is bounced. It sounds like the bottom balljoint, but I can't be sure, the balljoint is only a few months old and has been greased to within an inch of its life.

Everything on the front suspension and hubs is new (Summer 2011) and is kept properly greased.

Any suggestions?
                        Hey Andy. Bit of a longshot, but do you have aftermarket dampers fitted? Try squirting the bushes with WD40. Do they have gaiters? Make sure that the shaft inside is fully lubricated (No smut intended)............
                        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Working...
                        X