Road Tax display question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Tax display question

A pedantic point, but I thought I'd ask.

If a vehicle is on the road, it must be taxed.

If a vehicle is off the road, it must be SORN.

If a vehicle is taxed, the disc must be displayed.

If a vehicle is SORN, it must not be used on the road.

But, if a vehicle is off the road, not SORN and not displaying a tax disc; is that an offence? I can't find anything that says it isn't, there are no exceptions to the 'not displaying a valid tax disc' offence.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

It's either taxed or sorn, anything else is illegal "no exceptions".
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I'm talking about 'not displaying a valid tax disc' which is also an offence, even if the vehicle is taxed.

Comment

It must be, Judging by the amount of fines that have come through to my parent's house on vehicles I have brought over here!

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          I'm talking about 'not displaying a valid tax disc' which is also an offence, even if the vehicle is taxed.
          Displaying your tax disc
          Your vehicle tax disc must be displayed on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, you should display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.
          A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.
          If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.
          Last edited by madcampbell; 8 January 2012, 19:02. Reason: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            It's a bit of a 'grey' area these days as most people buy road tax on-line and there's at least three days when the disc is in the post.
            Those VOSA ANPR equipped vans that drive around only scan the numberplates of vehicles as all tax, insurance and MOT status can be obtained from them.

I know this because if I have to put my SORN truck on the road for a couple of hours for whatever reason and the VOSA van drives past, it confuses the ANPR computer and the driver has to get out and have a look through the truck's windows to see if the plates are in there and readable.
            The driver sees me in the garage and says, "There's no number plates on that vehicle!"
            "I know says I, I'm just moving these other vehicles around and I'll put it back on the drive when I'm done"
            "OK" says he, "as long as it's not there the next time we come 'round here"
            "No worries"says I.

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
              If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.

Ask the DVLA if this is valid recognised in law exemption by them and recognised by the police and you will not get fined, I think you will be surprised by their answer..................
              Last edited by Koi; 8 January 2012, 19:19.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

If your vehicle is off the road, then surely anyone checking it is displaying a tax disc is trespassing

Also remember if you cancel your insurance when its off the road, you have to Sorn it, having a taxed, uninsured car is illegal now.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  If your vehicle is off the road, then surely anyone checking it is displaying a tax disc is trespassing
                  Not necessarily, they could see it from a public path?

Mr Mad's post seems to back up what I'm saying, even if your vehicle isn't on a public road and is taxed, if the disc isn't on display in the correct place; you'll get done.

Comment

Oh the joy's of government and money making idea's! Not content with the ANPR, Speed camera's, VED, and insurance prices we now have to make sure it's insured even if off the road due to mechanical work being undertaken, if the VED runs out while stuck in a garage it's ###### ridiculous, That's not too say i disagree with it, but if it keeps the uninsured on they're toes then i'll put up with bureaucratic b@llshit just to keep them off the road.
                    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't forget you can drive an untaxed but insured vehicle on the road if you are traveling either to or from a pre booked MOT appointment.
                      Just lately thats the only way mine gets a run out.

When is the snow coming?

Comment

Working...
                      X