old hilux surf or pickup time =]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old hilux surf or pickup time =]

hey guys i have been a member here for ages but i have been away a while now

so basically my work bonus comes in very soon and im thinking of getting an old hilux surf or possibly the pickup =] im 21 and haven't been driving too long so i need to know which one is the best for insurance and economy (i know these beasts arent too great at either but any expense saved would be welcome lol)

so thats it, some general advice for someone dabbling in trucks for the first time =]

Cheers

Alex

Well fella, forget about pickups, commercial insurance will be pretty much impossible at your age. Again with surfs it`s the insurance that is going to hit you hard with them being imports.

If I was you I would be looking to phone around and get some quotes before committing to anything but if these are the trucks you have your heart set on, why nor consider a 4runner? Same truck more or less just a bit bland on the spec front but..... not a commercial and not an import so may be less crippling on the insurance front

Edit, they are all sh!t on fuel

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
      Well fella, forget about pickups, commercial insurance will be pretty much impossible at your age. Again with surfs it`s the insurance that is going to hit you hard with them being imports.

If I was you I would be looking to phone around and get some quotes before committing to anything but if these are the trucks you have your heart set on, why nor consider a 4runner? Same truck more or less just a bit bland on the spec front but..... not a commercial and not an import so may be less crippling on the insurance front

Edit, they are all sh!t on fuel
      thanks for the advice there, finding some nice ones on the bay... i wanna spend between £1k and £2k, so itll be one thats beat up a bit, but i want it to ideally have some tax and mot left so the stuff it needs is only cosmetic fingers crossed
      Cheers

Alex

Comment

Save up and get one that's already had the head replaced, or buy one that's had the head go for 500 quid... But somehow i don't think the surf will be the issue, insurance will be the killer.
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
          Save up and get one that's already had the head replaced, or buy one that's had the head go for 500 quid... But somehow i don't think the surf will be the issue, insurance will be the killer.
          car insurance doesnt bother me too much as its gunna be a project that wont come out on the roads too often so i will just get day insurance as and when =] but thanks for the heads up on the head! haha
          Cheers

Alex

Comment

You'll be damn lucky to find even a sh*tty pickup for 2k
            Anything half decent will start above that, Surf's (or 4runners) are much better value for money at present!

Alan
            www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
              You'll be damn lucky to find even a sh*tty pickup for 2k
              Anything half decent will start above that, Surf's (or 4runners) are much better value for money at present!

Alan
              i've seen a couple of 12 month mot 6 month tax ones for that, thatll do me =]
              im not expecting a showroom condition truck, i know itll take a bit of work to get it like that but thats half the fun =]
              Cheers

Alex

Comment

Stop doing this =] It's annoying.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

you can have my surf for 1400....

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    =]

Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

What does... =].... mean??

Is it a dead one of these?
                      ||
                      Last edited by Overland Tonka; 9 January 2012, 00:25.
                      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        do what? =]
                        Cheers

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                          you can have my surf for 1400....
                          thats a very tempting offer, cheaper than most others out there, is that with some tax n mot left? pics?

i am waiting on something to go through in order for me to get the cash though but it will happen, its just a matter of timescale =]
                          Cheers

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
                            What does... =].... mean??

Is it a dead one of these?
                            ||
                            its a smile =] a more square version of

hope that answers your question =]
                            Cheers

Alex

Comment

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                              X