it's time to lift it!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's time to lift it!!

finally, i bought a 1.5 inch body lift kit from milners this weekend for about £50. there were no radiator drop/bumper brackets included but i can knock them up pretty easily.

1 - how much time should i allow to fit it? i've read all the posts on body lifts but it still scares the cr** out of me!

3 - has anyone had any experience of the milners supplied lift?

2 - assuming i manage to fit the lift to one of our surfs i will want to copy the bits and fit them to the other. from what was in the kit it looks pretty easy to duplicate with a little help from my engineering friend. is there any reason why i shouldn't reproduce the specer blocks (2" this time) in steel?

ta,
    will
    Last edited by happythrasher; 10 August 2004, 23:24.
    black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

If youve no distractions like 2 little uns would be, you could give it a weekend and finish it. Someone to help you would be good as 2 pairs of hands do 3 times the work of one pair.

The pitfalls for me were the rad, the steering column and the fuel tank neck.

The rad needed to be lowered obviously but I need to grind away 4 coin sized areas above each hole so the rad would fit flush to the frame like it used to. Also the rad shroud is an annoyance, cant be bothered trying to recall why coz it pi$$ed me off so much.

The steering column never extened as much as I would have like even with all bolts loosened. I later learned that where the column comes out thru the bulkhead, theres 2 bolts which need loosening and a grommet needing relocating slightly to prevent rubbing. I didnt do this and now the grommet is mangled and perished.

The fuel tank: when I fill at the pump I loose diesel and theres a puddle when I drive off. No-one mentions this and I've yet to fix it, its a damn hard place to get in at.

Stuff like this can hold you up. This was on a '91 2nd gen. Dabigman did a lift on his 3rd gen and was off the road for weeks with a complication re the steering shaft.

Comment

wasn't so much a complication as a "i can't be arsed now it's raining!"

didn't bother with the rad drop as removing the shroud does the same job and doesn't expose the bottom of the rad below the bumper as much

remember to remove all the flappy rubber covers inside the wheelarches... or they'll fall off after a week anyway!

big trouble was the steering column as it needs to have an extension welded into it... easy job if you can weld straight!

i can see what the problem with the fuel neck would be as it's a kinda concertina rubber pipe coming out the tank and mine's quite tight so a bit perrished and i'd imagine you'd get a leak!

i'd recommend anyone to lift theirs... just cos it's easier to work on now!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
      X