2.4 or 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 or 3.0

Hi guys looking to get a surf asap and found a nice 2.4 manual on the bay but ive read in another forum the 2.4 suffers with the cracked heads and is under powered so should go for the 3.0 td? Thanks for any help!

3lt definatly! 2.4's aint all that bad (had one myself getting on for 7 years) but the 3 is better
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

3 litre but don't be put of by the 2.4 if it's in good nick. I do notice a difference in power when on a hill, however I'm used to it now.

Comment

I would definitely reccomend a 4.0 litre.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          I would definitely reccomend a 4.0 litre.
          lol true

Comment

Originally posted by Black Sheep View Post
            3 litre but don't be put of by the 2.4 if it's in good nick. I do notice a difference in power when on a hill, however I'm used to it now.
            So will the 2.4 be more prone to the head probs? or is it just under powered?

Comment

Originally posted by imotep View Post
              Yes and yes.

Although, to be fair, you're talking about a vehicle that is probably 15-20 years old so it'll be down to how well maintained it is/was. I make sure that oil changes and coolant changes are done at the recommended intervals to make sure things keep ticking over nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by imotep View Post
                Any 14yr old truck with over 100k mile on the clock will be prone to head issues unless it's a landrover.

A 14yr old landrover will be a pile of rust on your drive so the head will never be an issue.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  Any 14yr old truck with over 100k mile on the clock will be prone to head issues unless it's a landrover. A 14yr old landrover will be a pile of rust on your drive so the head will never be an issue.
                  lol very true, ive been looking at all trucks from jeep to shoguns but think its a gotta be a hilux for me would like a lift with big ol wheels n rubber on it

Comment

Been running my 2.4 for over 7 years now, head is still ok (everything else has broke on it but the head is ok). Yes a little underpowered but only when towing uphill. Like it has been said anything that is as old as these Surfs is gonna be prone to the odd thing braking. Having said all that if I were in the market for another it would have to be a 3ltr.

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by Spoggle View Post
                      Been running my 2.4 for over 7 years now, head is still ok (everything else has broke on it but the head is ok). Yes a little underpowered but only when towing uphill. Like it has been said anything that is as old as these Surfs is gonna be prone to the odd thing braking. Having said all that if I were in the market for another it would have to be a 3ltr.

Spoggle
                      Wont be towing at all just off roadin and family run about, Fishing/bikes that sort o thing.

Comment

I bought mine from a mechanic who had replaced the head.... or so he told me. shame he never done all the other bit's I've had to replace! That said she's 21 years old and will probably last the same again.

Comment

Nabor of mine tow's a horse box with a 2.4 he bought for 500 quid, we thought it had head issues when he got it as it was chucking out brown froth but all it was was the thermostat cap, good flush and new stat and cap and running like a goodun, depends on what you have to spend, 3's are pretty cheap these days, or better still a 3rd gen (3lt) if ya want to spend a bit more. whatever you get give it a dam good service regardless of what the seller might say's been done/checked.
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                          X