Newbie here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here

Hi, went and bought a Surf yesterday. M plated 3.0TD, 220k km on the clock. Enjoying the drive, have had Troopers and Patrol in the past.

Thought I'd join the forum. Loads of good info already.

Live near Odiham.

Will probably attempt my first ever cambelt change, I'm guessing that it isn't possible to tell if it has been changed at 200000 as per schedule? Will be prdering genuine from Rough Trax. Looking at the state of the oil, it will need a change too. Air filter has at least been changed in the last year or so.

I'm interested to know if anyone has a "Turbo timer" fitted, when switched off, mine runs for 60 seconds, no bad thing but I would at least like to know how this is wired.

Ey'up and welcome, I'm sure you will get all the answers to your questions on here. There was a thread about the turbo timer and I seem to remember that it is against the law in the UK to leave your motor running whilst unattended. I took mine off as I never used it and seem to remember a plug into the loom and a wire to the hand break switch. (as usual I'm sure someone will be along to correct me and give you the info).
    All the best.
    All the best

Comment

Hello Paul. Welcome. If you have any doubts, take a look at your cambelt, and unless it looks obviously new, then buy yourself some peace of mind, and change it. Colin was right when he mentioned the illegality of leaving a vehicle unattended, with its engine running in a public place. My first Surf was fitted with a turbo timer, but it could be programmed to run on for different lengths of time. I used to set it for 20 seconds, so leaving it unattended wasn't an issue..........Cheers....Mick.
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'm getting loads of useful info on here, especially about the Cambelt. I'm a bit paranoid about cambelts as I lost an engine in the past where the belt had been changed but not the pulley or tensioner and bang it went.

I replaced 2 x head units and an aerial bypass switch, with a working stereo today and now have various holes to fill/cover. I'm enjoying having a truck I can work on again.

Another question if I may. I am going to put a toward on it and was wondering about the wiring, is it a case of hiving off the back lights or are there relays involved? I had the reversing lights out with no signal to the dash (as my old grand Cherokee would do, yes, I've had loads but never a Toyota 4x4, plenty of hiace vans too)

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Loobs View Post
          Another question if I may. I am going to put a toward on it and was wondering about the wiring, is it a case of hiving off the back lights or are there relays involved? I had the reversing lights out with no signal to the dash (as my old grand Cherokee would do, yes, I've had loads but never a Toyota 4x4, plenty of hiace vans too)
          Sense makes that no...
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

That without auto correct is a Towbar.

Comment

Working...
            X