Racist stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racist stuff

I've been reading about how Alan Hansen has apologised for calling black footballers 'coloured'
    Is the term 'coloured' frowned upon in the UK now?
    I always thought that was an OK term to use.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

No its frowned upon, its not PC. I think maybe because it infers that someone might be purple, green, blue or even striped or something. Maybe you could describe a BA stewardess or an Essex girl as coloured because they tend to be a bit orange, but I,m not even sure if that would be PC. TV pundits just need to stay clear of the whole issue. It,s all too confusing for me. I dont know, for example, what an African/American is. Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria for example are all in Africa, but I,m not sure that the term fits Americans whose origins lie there.
    I think describing someone as black is acceptable, but I,m not 100% sure, and even that can seem iffy as most people who describe themselves as black are clearly not.
    Сви можемо

Comment

A friend of mine recently had her first visit to the midwife after finding out that she was pregnant.

The midwife, when filling in the form, was rather on the impolite side and was just giving the answers for my friend.

When it came to ticking the "ethnicity" box the midwife said "white British" and started on the next question, at which point my friend pointed out that she isn't white British cos she's half Iranian/Persian. The midwife then scowled somewhat and rather grumpily said "there isn't a box for that".

Nowt to do with racism really but my friend decided to change midwife cos the first one was a proper grumpy ar5ed g1t.

Comment

But in my book the midwife was right.
        If someone ticked a box 'white British' for my kids, I wouldn't say " oh but hang on, they are quarter English, Quarter Polish, quarter Hungarian and a Quarter Serb.
        What is the matter with people?

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
          But in my book the midwife was right.
          Not really cos the midwife was asking about my friends ethnicity. And it was more to do with the fact that the midwife was a miserable cow than anything! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
            Not really cos the midwife was asking about my friends ethnicity. And it was more to do with the fact that the midwife was a miserable cow than anything! lol
            True, but probably a free miserable cow.

Comment

I really do not see the need to complete forms stating your ethnic background and refuse to complete them. What difference does it make about the colour of your skin? Its what's inside that truly counts.

Comment

True, but probably a free miserable cow.

There is that, but you get a better standard of insults down at the local pub!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
                  I really do not see the need to complete forms stating your ethnic background and refuse to complete them. What difference does it make about the colour of your skin? Its what's inside that truly counts.
                  Absolutely. A full intestine is more telling than anything!
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

What is the matter with people?
                    Itchy feet in the slobodanodan's family it seems....
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gN7zlpnz8
                      All the best

Comment

http://youtu.be/VOhXpmozpbE

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
                          Isnt' it because some races are more susceptible to diseases than others, or have different reactions to differnt s medications than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                            Isnt' it because some races are more susceptible to diseases than others, or have different reactions to differnt s medications than others?
                            Half of what you're getting it is true but the tick boxes on forms are nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                              Half of what you're getting it is true but the tick boxes on forms are nothing to do with it.
                              OK. I was thinking of medical forms; didn't really consider any others.

Comment

Working...
                              X