Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Monroe Shocks.

Hi Folks,

As per my other post I have been doing some work on the truck lately and have noticed something odd with the Lift kit fitted (roughtrax springs Monroe shocks)

When I first fitted them I noticed that after battling with the spring compressors, one of the metal sleeve/dust shields on the front was loose, even with the supplied bushes correct washers etc, and the nut tightened all the way to the end of the thread, the dust tube was loose and jingled about.

The others all seemed on so I thought it was some form of defect with the threaded section or something, and put a thick washer in there to shim the bushes so they had contact and stopped the tube rattling.

On removing the front two strut assemblies to get better access when removing the upper and lower suspension arms and drive shafts (fun outside in the rain!) I noticed that the previously quiet passenger side was not loose and jingling about... On closer inspection it looks like the same has happened at the backs too (I need to see if I can tighten the rears more to quieten it up)

Is this normal or has anyone else had this issue? It also feels like the corners are not matched.. the front drivers side and rear passenger side feel much stiffer than their opposite numbers, meaning under heavy breaking I can feel the truck pitching diagonally. Has anyone had massively miss matched shocks/ springs from these kits?
    I don’t get it, I have done loads of work on loads of different types of vehicles, I have changed the suspension on quite a few that I have lived with, - I have never had any issues like these. Is the lift kit I used just tat? – or have I been unlucky?
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

I've not seen a loose one, the top of the sleeve is always snug under the lower bush once it's done up.

Odd.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Do you sually use the supplied bushes Tony?
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Yeah, always have. Will double check next time a truck I've fitted them on comes in.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just an update on this as per my other thread, one of the rear shocks had pulled through the top washer, causing it to A, be loose, B not have any damping properties explaining the diagonal pitching.

I had used the Toyota supplied washers (My fault totally, I have no idea why I did this, I must stop working on the truck into the small hours in the morning!) and they are not up to the job.

I’ll post a photo of the failed washer, but it has a very neat hexagon shaped hole where the nut at the top of the shock shaft forced its way through.

It doesn’t explain the issue at the front, but covers the back, and I thought I'd own up to my error.
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Working...
          X