Help with Bolts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Bolts....

I'm in the process of refurbishing the rear end of me Surf. So far I've got:

Leaky diff housing - now fixed
    Rotten filler tank breather pipe - in progress
    Rotten front to rear brake pipes (all) - in progress

In the process of remove the axle fuel tank protector I've cut/twisted various heads of various bolts. Most of which I've repaired by re-drilling the hole and then running a finishing tap through afterwards.

Every bolt that has snapped todate has had a 13mm head. I re-drilled these and run a M8 tap through them and everything seems OK. However, the new bolts I have seem to have a 15mm Head instead of the original 13mm.

Questions:

Is this a oddity of Surfs or can I expect more of this as I go on?

Is there some sort of Surfy Nivarner where I can majically order two new rear diff studs and not have to undergo open wallet surgery from my local dealer ?

My biggest PITA so far is a completely rusted up rear axle filler bolt. I dont suppose and anyone of use knows what thread it is....!
    1996 SSRG Blue over Silver 3rd Gen 3.0L

surf's dont have any 13mm head bolts - same goes for most japanese stuff.

id guess the 13mm head bolts you had trouble with were probably poor quality replacements from b&q stuck in by a previous owner.

Comment

here
      You can get an 8mm bolt with 13mm head. Its quite common. I have 13mm head bolts on my surf.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjadave View Post
        here
        You can get an 8mm bolt with 13mm head. Its quite common. I have 13mm head bolts on my surf.

The only time a 13mm socket/spanner might be needed on a Surf is for the nut for the battery cable on the alternator.
        There are no other 13mm bolt heads or nuts on the truck, if you have some then they have been fitted by someone else, not Toyota.

Comment

ISO or DIN standards for 8mm is a 13mm flat. Japanese JIS standard is 12mm flat.

Other sizes are here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_%28...hex_nuts_sizes

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            ISO or DIN standards for 8mm is a 13mm flat. Japanese JIS standard is 12mm flat.

Other sizes are here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_%28...hex_nuts_sizes

Nev

Thanks Nev but I've got it covered.

Comment

I saw this earlier and wondered, mine only seems to have 12mm or 14mm lol

Comment

Working...
              X