Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
    Apologies for the post hijack but...

I've always fancied getting an older Mercedes, not a rolling Museum piece but something that could still be used regularly, would not fall apart in a couple of years and would give a semi- respectable mileage (combined 30mpg -ish).

I've seem some W124 models that look like they might fit the bill and they are often described as 'the last of the bullet-proof mercedes' (which might be boolshit for all I know). I've seen a few that look to be in superb condition and with low mileage but often they appear to give less than 20mpg.
    I've no idea whether the early model diesels are any good or whether LPG conversions are viable options (if that is not considered sacrilege).

Anyone (Sancho?) got any suggestions as to what might be a good model to look out for?
    Oh no, no no no, the W124 was not the last of the bullet proof Mercedes, nor as some claim the last "proper Mercedes" The W124 was the beginning of Mercedes disastrous decade in the 90`s with horrendous corrosion and build quality issues. I am not saying a good one wont make a nice serviceable car but it`s neither desirable nor sought after.

The last "proper" or "bulletproof" Mercedes was the W126 S class or the W124`s predecessor the W123 E class, W126 models were designed in the late 70`s and produced from `79 through to `91, huge production run goes to show the popularity of the model, you can get a diesel but they are few and far between and in fairness, fuel economy is not why you buy a Merc! Neither petrol or diesel models will give you 30mpg, my last 300SE gave around 18-19mpg running around and 22-25mpg on a good run, my old 500SE was a couple of mpg down on both but not much. I would love to find a nice W126 560SEL!

Comment

I have this for sale

Brian

Comment

How many bedrooms?
        is it freehold?
        how much?
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
        X