Scotland tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland tour

Well I got back from a tour of Scotland yesterday and have to say the beast didnt miss a beat. I was a bit nervous of the small pin holes in the rad which spat off the 'araldite' i fixed them with but 'nay bother pal'. I hit some of the hardest roads in the country in the far northwest but the motor was a dream even in the heat, even got some 'Dune Surfing' in! 1800 miles in all.
    ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

weird, I got back from Scotland on Saturday after spending 2 weeks there (with 60+ scouts/explorers, and 40 odd other leaders!). And more weirdly, even though I'm from Manc. everyone else was from Herts which is right next door to you!

Didn't get to do any offroading but did get to do my first proper towing (the canoe trailer!), including some tricky reversing (3 point turning it on a narrow road, reversing up a curved driveway was a real nice introduction!), and I did get to scare my passengers silly whilst driving back from Edinburgh to Lochearnhead at 1am on flooded roads (dontcha just love those deep puddles and 4WD!). The Surf just loves anything you can throw at it!

Oh, and I did get to laugh at the Pajero owner amongst us who had a blowout on the M6 on the way back - and none of us stopped to help (it would have created a bigger hazard......and been embarrassing in case anyone passing thought I owned it!).

Geoff.

Comment

Hi me too done North West Scotland, didn't see anyone else for 3 weeks
      Saw a newbie in the BP station on the south side of the Toll road driving
      in circles trying to figure out how to switch on the lights I think
      he didn't stop so I could not help but roared off south with none on
      bit daft really considering it was 1130 @ night!! It was a 94 sortata greyish
      colour.Stayed in Glenuig where the surf has decided that's where its new home is. We were the only ones on site who could climb the hill to the van with out slip sliding away.

Comment

God i must be slipping up ( getting old ) three up here on there hols & i wasn't at the border to charge Red KEN'S Road Charge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BLAST

Sewerat Bob
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Well after spending a few days taking off driverside flare panel filling and rubbing down and spraying, leaving at home to cure, first day of hols pulled into Fort Billies Safeway carpark did shopping, came out drove to Tyndrum gets out finds some w**k*r has only scraped all the way down the drivers side with a white vehicle and scarred Surf!, and bu**ered off
          Welcome to the Highlands my ar*e!!! so thats the next few W/ends tied up preparing and respraying side of surf. Before coming back to UK after living in Oz for 10 years I worked in the 'Paintshop' of General Motors in Adelaide spraypainting etc , now having returned here I have never found it to be so useful!

Comment

We stayed mostly in the Broomfields campsite in Ullapool which is nice and is right on the waterside of Loch Broom, from there we toured around the north west coast, if any of you get the chance then do the Lochinver loop road, the first bit to Lochinver is crap but then get on the B869 to Clashnessie and Drumbeg, I guarantee this is the wildest bit of paved road I have ever used in the UK (and I have seen a fair bit of the UK) 25% (1 in 4) climbs and all single track road plus hairpin bends and twisty bits for about 25 miles. If your up for it be prepared for a long haul as it is seemingly never ending and a bit tiring on a hot day. We took in the Scourie lighthouse which is where the sheep picture was taken and the views were superb, we thought we saw the shadows of some whales from there but couldn't confirm as we saw no 'thar she blows' type stuff. The icing on the cake was a visit to Durness, its about as far north west as you can get by car, there's a beach there that is fairly unknown to most tourists and is a over mile long with huge sand dunes all the way. We took the cars along it and through the dunes to 'Far out Head' to see the Puffin colony. A beutiful and unforgettable place! We also stayed just out side Fort William at Spean Bridge for a few days but the weather was closing in so we headed south.
            I did see a few Surfs in the two weeks, all of them were blue, one waved and flashed his lights along the A82, youngish bloke with fair hair in a blue and silver surf, if thats you then collect your badge cos your the only one that did
            If anyones interested I will soon have some pictures of the off road sand dune part of our tour I could post or host and url?
            ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Working...
            X