HID lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
    There are a percentage of cars with retro fit HIDs that spew light everywhere a shotgun approach to road lighting so it will be good to see those brought into line.
    I agree with this, it's a PITA on unlit roads, you can't see feck all.

You don't need that much light! Buy better glasses or frigging slow down.

(All UK cars have headlight level adjusters, import Surfs don't have them, but 4Runners do cos its UK market car, as well as dimmable dash lights and fog lights.)
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Say no more

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/xenon.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
        Im not sure how quickly self levelling reacts to a bump or ramp if its at all or if it just compensates for a load car but the regulation clearly states self levelling.
        It's very quick, you can see it working on the country lanes.

Mine works by constantly re calulating the difference in suspension compression between front and rear wish bones, One sensor ar the front, on at the back on opposite sides of the car.

I like how when you start up the head lights calibrate by pointing at the floor and back to level again...

Tony "Too much light" is not the issue, "too much unfocused light" is!

The aftermarket HID kits have the shotgun effect, as stated, but they have hot spots and cool spots, so as well as blinding everyone else with their light scattering, they aren't even as good for the driver compared to the lovely consistant light of a proper projector system.

What I have not seen is an aftermarket kit in a factory projector system.. I guess they probably work a great deal better... maybe I have seen them and assumed they are factory!

Another factor is the colour temperature... Factory systems usually sit at about the 4300k mark, which is a nice even "white" light. Aftermarket kits are avaiable in higher colour tempertures, and the chavs that fit them tend to think higher is better... after 5k things start looking distinctively blue... get to the 9s up and it starts going purple... - more distracting to other road users and again to our eyes the driver can't see as much..
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post

Tony "Too much light" is not the issue, "too much unfocused light" is!
            It is to me, thats my point, it's a waste of time, effort and money (IMO of course). To much light is just a waste, but unfocused light IS dangerous. Even factory or properly adjusted HID lights are blinding when the other car is coming over a slight crest in the road.

I have no issues with the orginal headlights and good bulbs in my truck. I've never driven into anything or anyone in 35 years of driving on unlit country roads! You certainly don't need them round town or on motorways when doing real speeds.

I would rather have a car coming towards me being able to see his lane and side of the road on a country lane. Especially as I drive lifted truck with the headlights arleady very high up in the air, it's already a fine balence between melting the backs of people necks when in traffic, and being able to see down the road as it is.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              It's you pointing those ###### things in my eyes, is it?

Comment

Fair play...

I can see fine in my truck with stock bulbs too..... but it is nice having the solid light on projected HID on the other car too. From owning both I'd say from experiance the solid light from the projectors is far less fatiging at night (especially in bad conditions with oncomming traffic) and also less dazzling for oncomming traffic, - the cut off on low beam is much sharper and controlled.

That said I'm not including 4x4 height... my trucks headlights are about level with the roof on the other half's MR2.. The lower you are the worse of you are at night from beng dazzled!

I find the "clear lense angled reflector" style halogens far more dazzling than any (factory) HID system. get some muppet putting aftermarket HIDs in those and it's bad times!

One thing I am finding more of an issue is push bikes with high power lights... with no obvious regulation on them.. I see one every night on the way home from work on teh lanes near home, I swear it is a bike with HID lighting!
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                  One thing I am finding more of an issue is push bikes with high power lights... with no obvious regulation on them.. I see one every night on the way home from work on teh lanes near home, I swear it is a bike with HID lighting!
                  Nope we don't run HiDs, they use too much juice for too little light, we run the new LEDs.

I have two on the handle bars rated at 300 lumens each, and a 1400 lumen on the skid lid. They are all angled however at the road, not oncoming traffic. The one on the skid lid is perfect for reminding other drivers to dip, just look straight at them!!
                  Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

is there a hid projector for a 2nd gen?
                    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

No.

Comment

oh!!
                        and i guess there is no other (from other car model) it could fit on it

Comment

I have seen BMW E36 headlight units fitted to a 1st gen (different shape grille) and they looked OK. A bit of work is needed to get them looking like a factory fit on a 2nd gen though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            I have seen BMW E36 headlight units fitted to a 1st gen (different shape grille) and they looked OK. A bit of work is needed to get them looking like a factory fit on a 2nd gen though.
                            mmm!!! i should do same shopping so i dont blind anyone

Comment

All I want to know is, will my Surf be okay with these? I just bought them recently. Here I am with my mrs. That's me on the right under that kind mans nose.

Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

If anyone sells clear lense versions of the 2nd gen headlights you can DIY retrofit a projector, taken from a damaged factory car, or bought from Hella. that was my plan before I decided tie effort/gain ratio wasn't strong enough... there are also cheapy Ebay HID DIY projector kits, but they all seem to feature "angel eyes"

lol My dad just sold one of his old cars... it needed new candles in its headlights for its MOT!
                                More Lift.
                                More Tyres.
                                More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X