Oh No..... Mega Overheat, and Engine Check Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No..... Mega Overheat, and Engine Check Light

I've had a little split in my rad for about a month (where the top hose connects to rad), and my man at the garage it's serviced at, sorted it for me but only as a as a temporary measure. I've just thrown a bunch of money at my full motorbike test, big ass new bike and full leathers so kinda had no 'spare' money for a rad..I've only been using it on short runs, and topping up as necessary. Well, last night i had a big Bonfire Night gig with the band, about 30 mile away, and forgot to check the level before i set off. When i was driving home, about 2am, i noticed the temp gauge move above centre - it has never shifted a mm higher than centre before. I knew it must've been really low, so i coasted as much as poss, with heaters on full, to let out any pressure/heat.. anyway, i got to within a mile or so of my house, and the temp shot through the roof, right up above red, the the check engine light came on...
    I was crapping myself, couldnt really have stopped and left the truck as it was packed with Łk's of my band gear...
    Managed to get it home, and turned off asap, smoke/steam bursting out of engine bay. I knew i had driven it too far, but had no choice.

I got up this morning, checked everything visually and poured 6L of water into the rad, started her up, and all seems fine. No lights on, and engine running as sweet as ever.

First thing tomo i am off to buy and fit a new radiator, and hope that i have not done any further damage...
    Last edited by VidaMusic; 6 November 2011, 23:12.
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

not sure but if the heaters blow hot then theres water in there
    its when it blows cold there no water
    so this could be worse than ya think
    i hope not tho
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Fingers crossed for you..
      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Mine did that a few years back.
        I got the rad top hose connector soldered up.
        Didn't cause any further problems.
        The head cracking doesn't happen so much to the blue ones.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

New rad in place, also change fan belts whilst i had the space... she's running like a ###### new 'un!!

I TFR'd the whole engine bay to get off all the old gunk that had sprayed out all over it from knackered rad too.

It's reinstated how much i love my truck! So thankful that i didnt kill it...
          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X