Saw the temp guage move today... :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw the temp guage move today... :(

Towing a trailer, probably weighs around 500kg. 400 bricks at 3.3kg each = 1300kg, 15 bags of sand @ 30kg each = 450kg...
    Boot full of gear, and I mean full - 200 kg?
    5 x25kg bags of sand on front seat.

That's approx 2.5T of weight, combined laden and towed.

Suspension RT plus 2 upratd springs doing a grand job. just a shame the motor couldn't keep up!

After a short ( 5 miles) distance the guage started moving. Pulled over immediately and open bonnet, and let the engine tick over for 10 minutes. All was well, and took it a little more gently for the rest of the journey.

How does this compare to those that pull caravans and car trailers?

Think it's time for a cooling system overhaul? - head already replaced once btw...
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Did you replace the water pump? ....... Did it hit the red?

My old second gen overheated twice (due to mud in the rad ) and never killed the head.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Big tyres don't help either.

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
        Did you replace the water pump? ....... Did it hit the red?

My old second gen overheated twice (due to mud in the rad ) and never killed the head.
        No, and no.

I can see "daylight" between the needle and the halfway mark, about the same width as the needle. if this disappears, I stop. First time today.

Should I replace water pump? Don't understand your q properly...
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Big tyres don't help either.

looks like I stop towing and get a man to deliver the heavy stuff from now on...
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post

looks like I stop towing and get a man to deliver the heavy stuff from now on...
            Fit a seperate tranny cooler to take the excess heat out of the rad.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Fit a seperate tranny cooler to take the excess heat out of the rad.
              Will do. Been putting it off for a while. A very very small part of me somehow wishes the head would go, just so I can get one of those lovely Vthingies fitted...
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Surely that sounds normal...towing that much and getting a temp raise???
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

Thats what i thought, mine is fine but a few weeks ago I was really pushing her hard on a motorway for a few hours it was a warm evening and the temp did go up I slowed it cooled and she is fine

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I have a manual rad and seperate cooler for autobox and motor gets hotter on hills if I try an maintain 70-80ish speeds on hills now I have 35's, didn't do it on 33's. but it got warmer with the old 33's when towing heavy trailers on hills. It never did it any harm, and was controllable by just backing off a little and slowing down on hills. I can keep the temp between 1/2 and 3/4 up the gauge just on the throttle.

I may get a new rad soon, but its hard trying to find one without the cooler in the bottom.

There isn't a lot spare cooling in the system if pushing things, the only answer is a bigger rad, or keeping things stock.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

towing a moving trailer last week, huge un-aerodynamic brick and prob 2 and a bit tons once full, 2.4 was foot flat for 15 mins on motorway and never missed a beat or overheated, topped out at 80kmh though, think I want a vthingi too

PS: mines a manual so I suppose I dont have the extra heat being generated by auto box
                      Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

On big hills or mountains I find myself doing what Tony does and use the throttle to stay between half and three quarters. Got used to it now but at first I was freaked out all the time. Still does it with ALL the system having new bits as well as a ATF cooler. The aftermarket temp gauge gives good warning though as it shows the temp of the coolant as it leaves the engine before the rad...
                        Last edited by Overland Tonka; 4 November 2011, 00:06.
                        .... Which was nice.

Comment

Any quick answers to what I need to buy?
                          Is this suitable?
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-...item2a108b2a3a
                          Assume I need connectors and pipe, but will this fit or are there "more suited" ones out there?

PS tried a quick search, and got SiTate saying "try a search"...!
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Is this suitable?
                            Assume I need connectors and pipe, but will this fit or are there "more suited" ones out there?

Yep, that one will be OK. Doesn't say what size/thread the fittings are though.

Comment

Is this suitable?

Have you read the Aussie site stuff about the cooling system??

It's a great way to spend an afternoon!!.. I will find the link....although you will wish I had not.
                              .... Which was nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X