X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the byway will follow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-15540031

Drive the byway soon as they will want it closed
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

I do love history and the wonderful things that have been created by cultures long since gone, but we still have to move on. We can not keep holding a placard up saying 'save this' and 'save that', what next?....banning motor vehicles from Exmoor?......
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
      I do love history and the wonderful things that have been created by cultures long since gone, but we still have to move on. We can not keep holding a placard up saying 'save this' and 'save that', what next?....banning motor vehicles from Exmoor?......
      Nowt worth saving on Exmoor. JK

Stonehenge is one of the most recognisable places on the planet, it's very much worth saving. At present the road runs between the parking and the stones, not a good idea even if saving the stones wasn't a reason for the proposed changes.

Comment

Its only an excuse to stop people being able to see them without paying.

I suspect blatent money making, nothing more. Will you still be able walk along the closed road to see the stones? Bet not.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
          Nowt worth saving on Exmoor. JK

Stonehenge is one of the most recognisable places on the planet, it's very much worth saving. At present the road runs between the parking and the stones, not a good idea even if saving the stones wasn't a reason for the proposed changes.
          The place was ruined years ago when they built the visitors centre, etc, in my opinion. It should be treated in exactly the same way as every other stone circle/long barrow/neolithic site in the country and be left as it is with free access to all (barring any measures to deter vandalism, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
            The place was ruined years ago when they built the visitors centre, etc, in my opinion. It should be treated in exactly the same way as every other stone circle/long barrow/neolithic site in the country and be left as it is with free access to all (barring any measures to deter vandalism, etc).
            They did even more damage years before that.. Have you not seen the photographs of it being built?
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
              They did even more damage years before that.. Have you not seen the photographs of it being built?

I think my great grandfather supplied the stone....
              My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Prehaps the Welsh could solve the problem by asking for there stones back, ala Elgin marbles. totally agree the whole place has been shonked by Eng/heretics
                If lifes a beach..... its a crowded one!

Comment

Originally posted by gerry thejag View Post
                  Prehaps the Welsh could solve the problem by asking for there stones back, ala Elgin marbles. totally agree the whole place has been shonked by Eng/heretics
                  That the best comment ever ..... can you imagine the old farts at English Heritage getting that request. WE Want our stone back you have had it for 4000 years and still not paid for it
                  ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Working...
                  X