Computer advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer advise

Seeing as the last thread went west with the database going pear shaped, here's a new one.

I repair and build computers. I specialize in data retrieval from duff hard drives.

Seeing as I glean a lot of info from this site I'll attempt to give something back.

There's not much I don't know about them and Windows operating systems. So if you are stuck, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by Neil.a; 30 October 2011, 20:19.

Originally posted by Neil.a View Post
    Seeing as the last thread went west with the database going pear shaped, here's a new one.

I repair and build computers. I specialize in data retrieval from duff hard drives.

Seeing as I glean a lot of info from this site I'll attempt to give something back.

There's not much I don't know about them and Windows operating systems. So if you are stuck, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.
    Cool beans, man. I'll bear you in mind the next time the PC goes tits up!

Comment

Got any tips on retrieving a corrupted firebird Database that is beyond being fixed by Gfix and Gbak?

Short of buying expensive software, I'm stumped
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

That's a kind offer for you PC guys.....

Smug bit now.... Apple user since 2002..... My advice is buy one.... Zero probs..
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
          That's a kind offer for you PC guys.....

Smug bit now.... Apple user since 2002..... My advice is buy one.... Zero probs..
          me too - no problems in 6 years - it just works

Comment

Thanks for the offer Neil.
            Heres one for you or anyone else reading. On my work PC I seem to have a redirect virus that when I click on links in google searches it sometimes takes me to an entirely different website.

I have the work standard Kaspersky security software and have tried Kasperskys downloadable TDDSKiller (which worked when I previously had a redirect virus),Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and CCLeaner to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
              Thanks for the offer Neil.
              Heres one for you or anyone else reading. On my work PC I seem to have a redirect virus that when I click on links in google searches it sometimes takes me to an entirely different website.

I have the work standard Kaspersky security software and have tried Kasperskys downloadable TDDSKiller (which worked when I previously had a redirect virus),Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and CCLeaner to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
              Hitman Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                Got any tips on retrieving a corrupted firebird Database that is beyond being fixed by Gfix and Gbak?

Short of buying expensive software, I'm stumped
                Sorry, that's geek stuff.....

What software are you thinking of?

Comment

Thanking you. I'll give it a pop tomorrow

Comment

Tried Hitman Pro and re-ran Superantispyware and Malwaresbytes all of which turned up a variety of problems all of which were removed other than two that HP finds up on start up but can't seem to get rid of.

Redirect virus still in residence.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Comment

Tried Hitman Pro and re-ran Superantispyware and Malwaresbytes all of which turned up a variety of problems all of which were removed other than two that HP finds up on start up but can't seem to get rid of.

Redirect virus still in residence.

Any ideas?

Thanks again
                      Boot into safe mode (keep tapping the f8 key on startup). Select Safe Mode with Networking. Run Hitman pro again.

Comment

Boot into safe mode (keep tapping the f8 key on startup). Select Safe Mode with Networking. Run Hitman pro again.
                        Now this is odd. tried running in Safe mode (all varieties) and each time I got the blue screen of death.

Can run normally fine. Safe kills it every time.

Comment

Could be a dodgy Hosts file.
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Now this is odd. tried running in Safe mode (all varieties) and each time I got the blue screen of death.

Can run normally fine. Safe kills it every time.
                            Hmmm. At this point I would back up all your data, boot from a Windows disk, remove all the partitions and re-install Windows. As Thrifty rightly says, the BSOD is normally hardware related (usually RAM) but it can also be a corrupt O/S. It may be that The HDD is saying sayonara, which is also a good idea to back stuff up.
                            The easiest way is to format it and see if it will let you install windows on it. Its also a good test of your RAM as it will highlight any flaws in that too. An install of Windows pushes RAM and the processor hard.

Just a thought, reboot your router too. It could be holding something in there.

Also Flush DNS
                            Last edited by Neil.a; 1 November 2011, 22:06.

Comment

Check the Hosts file is clean and run a chkdisk /r before you start reinstalling stuff.
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                              X