carbon deposit in coolant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbon deposit in coolant...

Upon the flush and coolant change on the weekend, apart from pipes having gunk in them and losing skin from my knuckles trying to get the damn spring clips off some of the hoses, I noticed some carbon deposit under the rad cap and in the thermostat housing. Would this naturally build up over a period of time or is this a gasket issue with something?

Don't want to say this too loud, but is there a chance it is the head thats blown?

There is some oil on the block down either side and the back so I am hoping its just a gasket that needs replacing, if so, what else should I replace while replacing the head gasket?
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Not wanting to speak out of place but, I would presume it's head related rather than gasket, but on the other hand you might be one of those "Rarer than hens teeth" type of person and not have the head gone!
    Best to get another adult to give an appraisal
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

What makes you think its carbon ? It could simply be scale from the water. You need to find the source of the oil leak, it doesnt sound too bad from your post and could easily be from the rocker cover. I wouldnt be going lifting heads off unless I was completely sure that the head or head gasket was gone and from your post I see no definitive signs of that.
      Last edited by Bogus; 26 October 2011, 13:31. Reason: added a wee bit
      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
        What makes you think its carbon ? It could simply be scale from the water. You need to find the source of the oil leak, it doesnt sound too bad from your post and could easily be from the rocker cover. I wouldnt be going lifting heads off unless I was completely sure that the head or head gasket was gone and from your post I see no definitive signs of that.
        purely guessing on the carbon front as it looked and felt like a carbon deposit. The coolant does not have an oily sheen to it, and nothing oily in the expansion tank either.

Ill get a sniff test done and see what result that brings up.

Comment

If its had a head gone in the past (or now) and been left a while, there will be lots of rust flakes in the coolant and crunchy feeling hoses.

I wouldn't bother changing a head gasket just to fix an oil leak, unless its horrendous, its just not worth the effort.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
            Not wanting to speak out of place but, I would presume it's head related rather than gasket, but on the other hand you might be one of those "Rarer than hens teeth" type of person and not have the head gone!
            Best to get another adult to give an appraisal
            See.. i told you an adult would be along shortly! I just thought i'd open the can of worms with my reply
            It did get the desired effect....

Comment

This was the old thermostat when I changed them over.

Comment

That's one hell of a deposit that's been left on the thermostat. Flush the system thoroughly that can't be emphasised enough! Keep your eye on the system for any contaminants that start to appear, This should give you enough of a clue as to the condition of the engine in respect to head or gasket issue's.

Comment

Working...
                X