A preemptive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    Clutch in, geabox to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, blip throttle to synchronise gears, select gear, clutch out.

I was taught slightly differently ...

On the way up the box:
    Clutch in, gearbox to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, select gear, clutch out

On the way down the box:
    Clutch in, gearbox to neutral, clutch out, blip throttle to synchronise gears, clutch in, select gear, clutch out

I went straight from pushbike to HGV2 - unfortunately I was learning on an AEC ten tonner, 5 speed crash gearbox with no power steering and a max speed of 30mph !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

You're probably right. I was never taught and wrote that from memory. There's lots of blipping and crunching anyway, I definitely remember that! The double bit is the 2 clutch cycles per gear change

John, it's a knack, you'll get used to doing it in no time...
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ever tried this on an old car? forget the clutch, as long as you match the cog speeds its possible to change gear without the clutch. You get a "feel" through the gear lever when its ready to go.... I suppose that's the same for DDCing?
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
          Ever tried this on an old car? forget the clutch, as long as you match the cog speeds its possible to change gear without the clutch. You get a "feel" through the gear lever when its ready to go.... I suppose that's the same for DDCing?
          It's exactly the same thing, you feel the gears meshing, then whack it in (so to speak)...
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

I was taught slightly differently ...

On the way up the box:
            Clutch in, gearbox to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, select gear, clutch out

On the way down the box:
            Clutch in, gearbox to neutral, clutch out, blip throttle to synchronise gears, clutch in, select gear, clutch out

I went straight from pushbike to HGV2 - unfortunately I was learning on an AEC ten tonner, 5 speed crash gearbox with no power steering and a max speed of 30mph !

The Reo is a manual box with no power steering, was very interesting driving back from Andover to Doncaster at a steady 45-50mph, got into the compound after countless shunts,jumped into surf to come home and nearly rolled, oh the joys of powered steering !!!!

I have been offered a go in a GMC from a local Military vehicle trust member (he must be brave??)
            Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
              Ahh, remember having to do that to keep an instructor happy when I did my advanced course in the police back in the 80s. But then it was a case of find a nice country road with lots of bendy bits and try to match the speed of the car to the road using only the gears. Touch the brakes and you had to buy the tea's at the little chef. As for double dc still do it today when I drive a manual, much smoother ride, see so many folks snatching at gears, no wonder so many have neck ache.Buts thats why I love the Surf, when it works.............Auto Box. Happy days

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by Spoggle View Post
                Ahh, remember having to do that to keep an instructor happy when I did my advanced course in the police back in the 80s. But then it was a case of find a nice country road with lots of bendy bits and try to match the speed of the car to the road using only the gears. Touch the brakes and you had to buy the tea's at the little chef. As for double dc still do it today when I drive a manual, much smoother ride, see so many folks snatching at gears, no wonder so many have neck ache.Buts thats why I love the Surf, when it works.............Auto Box. Happy days

Spoggle
                Double de cluthching whilst driving a vehicle with synchromesh is utterly pointless, and places more wear and tear on all the clutch components. Matching the road speed and appropriate gear, and bringing the clutch pedal up smoothly is all that is required for a silky smooth gearchange........
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Yup, wears the cones out...
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

sorry to hijack your thread Andy

had a go at double de thingy...hand eye co-ordination, brain clutch no synchromesh, up the box fine ...down the box er apparently all the gears are in the box and they sort themselves out...frightening
                    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Working...
                    X