Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question what's it worth?

Hi everyone I'm fairly new here.
    I signed up 18 month age then bought a Frontera......!

Sorry to the mods I have just realised I have to post here first.

I have the chance to buy a K reg 3.0 surf in very good condition with only 111000km on the clock, It has A/C and lots of other electrical toys like the electric rear parking mirror but I can't remember what model it is.

What do I need to check & what is it worth? I need to know what to offer him.
    Also what about the LEZ "TAX" as I live very close to it?

Thanks for any replies.
    Rob

Buying a Surf

Rob,how do and welcome.No expert so can only advise,try and do a really good test drive,check absolutely everything with a switch,several times,test air con,windows can be a bit slow but check the lot,Not sure it should have an electric rear parking mirror,usually on Gen 3 pimpmobiles,K reg is Gen 2,rear window up/down often a problem but easily fixable.Check it changes gear(if auto)up and down smoothly,if not check level and colour of ATF or change fluids and do all oils and filters.If manual check for clutch judder (on slight incline)Engine virtually bombproof but check condition of engine oil,its always black but is it gritty,under hard braking does truck pull to one side,may be caliper on opposite side faulty/sticking,check pads,discs and rear drum brakes as your life depends on them,check handbrake on hill,check all bulbs,heater and heater in arm rest.Rust not really a problem but check anyway,prod chassis with a blunt screwdriver,uneven tyre wear,play in suspension rubber bushs,steering joints,steering box,pitman arm and drop link,cv joints at front can be "noisy",could be cv or the wheel bearings or bronze bushes, not too hard to fix.Check if it pulls away quickly at traffic lights,its quick for a car weighing over 2 tonnes,thirteen grease nipples on prop shaft and front suspension,have they been lubed regularly.I may have missed something,an older inmate will correct me shortly.If you are unsure, use the search function on here to see if the question has already been asked,be precise with your query,if your enquiry is too technical for us riff raff, be patient as the adults only come out when the sun has gone down

Comment

From my own experience, check condition of batteries too, and belts.
      Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

Comment

It's worth what you're willing to pay for it.

Have a look on fleabay at completed listings and look for Surfs that actually sold and you'll see what they've gone for.

Also have a look at the prices on ads in the for sale section on here.

If you look at somewhere like http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/ you can get an idea on how much individual components might cost to replace.

Good luck with the purchasing experience!

Comment

Hi Rob.The new LEZ starts in 3 months time and if the log book for the surf you,re gonna buy says "4x4 light utility" under vehicle type then you will be included in it which is to say banned from driving inside the M25.Some people on this site seem to have had no problems at all getting their log book changed to "estate" which would then exempt your surf from the LEZ.For me personally it took 3 months of letters and phonecalls with the DVLA to get my log book changed.It was a lot of hassle.

Comment

Not sure, but was there a K reg 3.0? Very possibly wrong, but I thought they were L onwards.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps.
              I'm a dougnut as the car is an N reg not K.
              I have just checked online then phoned tfl about the LEZ and the car isn't affected by it
              I've been watching this particular car for a year now as it lives near one of my jobs in Wembley,
              I drove by again on Monday and just had to stop and knock on the door to ask if it was for sale.
              This confused little Indian woman opened the door and said yes but how did I know? as it's not advertised yet, her husband wanted to sell and I just got lucky with the timing!
              He has owned it for 5 years and needs the money.
              It looks in very good condtion with no rust or oil leaks to be seen, I've offered him £1500 as it needs a service with belts etc, does that sound about right?

Can anyone tell me if it's a gen 2 or 3 etc as I have no idea what spec these cars have.
              What version of engine is it likely to be so I can get a manual for it.
              Thanks again.

Dobbs

PS anyone want to buy a Frontera.......

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                Thanks for the replies chaps.
                I'm a dougnut as the car is an N reg not K.
                It looks in very good condtion with no rust or oil leaks to be seen, I've offered him £1500 as it needs a service with belts etc, does that sound about right?

It all makes sense now. that drop down mirror was a 3rd gen thing so as its N reg with a drop down reverse mirror its almost certainly a 3rd gen. KZN185 engine and an absolute steal at that price even if it does need some TLC.
                Сви можемо

Comment

Nice one Bogus
                  What do I need to look out for on this one?
                  I've seen a few stories of cracked heads etc allthough at 65000 miles I hope that won't happen.

Comment

My "N" reg 3ltr has got over 200,000 somethings on the clock and is still working well, no water issues to date, well not till I posted this.

Comment

At 1500 its a steal. Even at 1500 with a cracked head you still wont have been robbed assuming all else is OK.
                      As far as things to be looked at, just the usual stuff as with any car. When you get it make sure it gets a good service, fluids changed, cam belt changed and for added comfort a coolant flush and change, and a new stat and rad cap. Locate all the propshaft grease nipples as well and give them a good greasing. Most, but not all 3rd gens have a centre diff and multimode 4WD but a few early ones dont, and instead have the same 4WD as the 2nd gen. ( No centre diff) Not really an issue. Might make it worth a bit less when selling, but at 1500 its a steal in any case. You might want to check that 4WD actually works, but even if it doesnt appear to its often just due to lack of use and a few repeated attempts often get it go.
                      Good Luck
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks Bogus
                        The guy rang me back today to see if I was still interested in it, as he was going to advertise it!
                        I hope he doesn't as I really want this car.
                        Just been costing up what needs servicing like timing belt kit, oil, filters etc.

Roll on Saturday afternoon.

Comment

He has called me and backed out of the deal
                          Back to the search for a good one then!

Comment

Working...
                          X