Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Carrying Solution Needed

Afternoon all.

I need some advice on how I can carry my mountain bike.
    I live in the sticks and work in Edinburgh, so I drive to the outskirts and cycle the remaining 10 miles to avoid the rush hour traffic, cut my fuel costs and reduce the old beergut.
    At the moment I fling my bike in the back no worries, except 'er indoors getting a little hacked off, as I have to remove it each evening, put the seats back up refit the crap dog guard (need to get a better one that doesnae take 10 mins to fit, but that is another story) put the old duvet in the back and then load my 2 large Labradoodles (yes it is a real breed), take them for a big hike or swim, get home and then reverse the process. This is all taking too much time and thus the wife gets hacked off. This nightly hassle is also getting on my t1tts as well.

Also when going camping we like to take 2 bikes, but need an easy way to still access the back door to get the mutts in and out.

I don't really want to put the bike on a roof carrier as I am nt 10ft tall and it would crucify my mpg.

Is there something I can maybe attach to a rear door wheel carrier (not that I have got one) It must be a lockable feature or else th carier will get nicked.
    If the wheel carrier is the way forward, how much do they cost, how easy are they to get and how easy are they to fit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rixtar

Originally posted by Rixtar
    Afternoon all.

I live in the sticks and work in Edinburgh, so I drive to the outskirts and cycle the remaining 10 miles to avoid the rush hour traffic, cut my fuel costs and reduce the old beergut.
    At the moment I fling my bike in the back no worries, except 'er indoors getting a little hacked off, as I have to remove it each evening, put the seats back up refit the crap dog guard (need to get a better one that doesnae take 10 mins to fit, but that is another story) put the old duvet in the back and then load my 2 large Labradoodles (yes it is a real breed), take them for a big hike or swim, get home and then reverse the process. This is all taking too much time and thus the wife gets hacked off. This nightly hassle is also getting on my t1tts as well.

Also when going camping we like to take 2 bikes, but need an easy way to still access the back door to get the mutts in and out.

I don't really want to put the bike on a roof carrier as I am nt 10ft tall and it would crucify my mpg.

Is there something I can maybe attach to a rear door wheel carrier (not that I have got one) It must be a lockable feature or else th carier will get nicked.
    If the wheel carrier is the way forward, how much do they cost, how easy are they to get and how easy are they to fit?

Cheers

Rixtar
    Hi Rixtar,

I am looking into same problem, there is another solution, but it's only viable if the car has a tow bar.

If you get a spare wheel type you may well need a lighting board, should a bike cover the lights or number plate. Pricewise, they range from just £20 for 2 prongs that bolt to the spare wheel carrier up to @ £100 - and then you need to consider the lights problem.

I can see me having to do balancing act and use roof carrier, but will look for one that has bike upside down on roof.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtar
      Afternoon all.

Cheers

Rixtar
      If you have a towbar fitted there are some bike racks which use a 'post' that fits onto the towbar. Having the towbar usually means that you have a plug for a lightboard...I've no idea how much fitting a twobar would be (mine has one, and i don't have a rear mounted spare; UK model).

However, if you go this route i'm not sure if there is enough room to accomodate the rear mounted spare. Also, it's worth making sure that the post folds down; otherwise you can't open the tailgate fully (only the window).

There's a good rack shop in Edinburgh (stockbridge) which might have some suggestions....

Comment

i bought this bike carrier out of the adtrader 4 about £50, it does take mountain bikes as its adjustable, put the mut in first then the bike. you can always put a chain and lock on it. it makes my life much easier, better than towing. it fits easy 2 the tow bar.
        Attached Files
        lets go get dirty...

Comment

oh and the post easy pulls out to open the back door, the only down fall is you do have to take the bike off to open the door, but your bikes r only light compared to the motorbike. hope this helps . you don't have to take the bike rack off to open the door just the post.
          lets go get dirty...

Comment

just been talking to sufing mate Dunno on the old DOG AND BONE

he said try these sites for bike carriers guys

http://www.towingandleisure.co.uk/

http://buy-a-bike-carrier.co.uk/
            Enjoying Life after Cancer
            Pops

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Looks like the tow bar option is the best

Now I just need to get a tow bar fitted!!!!

Anyone know how much one costs?

Comment

Rick,

As Pops said I found this company very helpfull and they make all sorts of racks, although mine is mounted to the tow bar.

Give them a call on 0121 520 1773 the name is Towing and Leisure and they are in Oldbury West Midlands. They may have a type that will mount to our tail gate they did know the vehicle and had fitted to a surf in the past.

Paul
                DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Originally posted by shelly
                  i bought this bike carrier out of the adtrader 4 about £50, it does take mountain bikes as its adjustable, put the mut in first then the bike. you can always put a chain and lock on it. it makes my life much easier, better than towing. it fits easy 2 the tow bar.
                  that a cool carrier... do you happen to know the weight limit of the carrier? was it an individual you bought from or a company?

cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X