stupid street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid street

Ok maybe I have had not enough or too much sleep,but and here it comes as my 2nd gen IFS slowly moves from daily driver to more off road but needing to keep good road manners.
    Has anyone ever binned the torsion bar and fitted a "normal" coil over shock?

I know plenty of you have done SAS but I would like to keep the IFS front end.Is it worth the hassle or is SAS the way to go I wold like to know from those that know.

Any suggestions sensible or otherwise

Cheers
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Its a waste of energy, the whole point of a SAS is to bin the IFS.

There is no advantage in having coils or torsion bars, the lack of articulation in the IFS set up is why you fit a Solid front axle.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      Its a waste of energy, the whole point of a SAS is to bin the IFS.

There is no advantage in having coils or torsion bars, the lack of articulation in the IFS set up is why you fit a Solid front axle.
      Don't think I explained myself properly,What I meant was if you kept the IFS has anyone used coil over shocks and done away with the torsion bars?

And

What sort of on road ride/handling would you get with a SAS
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Expensive but nice.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          Don't think I explained myself properly,What I meant was if you kept the IFS has anyone used coil over shocks and done away with the torsion bars?

And

What sort of on road ride/handling would you get with a SAS
          LOL, I understood, it's still a waste of time and effort. There is no advantage of having coil overs instead of torsion bars if you keep the IFS, the flaw when offroad with the IFS is its lack of range of movement, what ever shocks you fit won't help with that.

Solid axle ride and handling on the road is dire compared to IFS on small/mid range SUV's, only something really heavy like the full size LandCruisers can pull them off (on coils, not leaf springs) thats why most SUV's have evoled into IFS suspension from the late 80's

Comment

Last edited by wishbone; 2 October 2011, 22:30. Reason: nothing to add really.........

Comment

http://www.chaosfab.com/product/95200/95200_ak01.jpg

OOOH I need to win the lottery
              Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

Comment

I know my input here isn't too mechanically useful but those wishbones and shocks look amazing.
                Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  LOL, I understood, it's still a waste of time and effort. There is no advantage of having coil overs instead of torsion bars if you keep the IFS, the flaw when offroad with the IFS is its lack of range of movement, what ever shocks you fit won't help with that.

Solid axle ride and handling on the road is dire compared to IFS on small/mid range SUV's, only something really heavy like the full size LandCruisers can pull them off (on coils, not leaf springs) thats why most SUV's have evoled into IFS suspension from the late 80's
                  Sooo then unless I get the Euro win tuesday night I guess you are saying don't bother.
                  Searched on flea bay to find a suitable front axle my my they are RARE.
                  2" body lift and 2" suspension is what my budget is running to.

Thanks for the input
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Sooo then unless I get the Euro win tuesday night I guess you are saying don't bother.
                    Searched on flea bay to find a suitable front axle my my they are RARE.

Thanks for the input
                    You would need both axles as the diffs would need to match .......

BTW if you want a hand doing the body lift, i have done a few
                    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

TBH, that and a good set of tyres and you'll do 99% of any offroading you'll come across in the UK, and still be able to drive around day to day without blurred vision.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I had a episode when I got the price back from Fournales I think the term is F**KIN HELL HOW MUCH.

Thanks for the offer of help BIO Really appreciate that.I think I am gonna need quite a bit of helpThe plan is firstly got to get a set of better axle stands first .(they would not be amiss if you had a Austin A30)
                        Body lift first so I can play around with an I/C
                        Then back end then BJ spacers and shocks.(if all goes to plan)
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                        X