Roof Bars ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Bars ??

I am in the process of making a full size roof rack after seeing how expensive they are to buy, but I have a sun roof on my 2nd gen. Any ideas as to how I can support the back of it?

I am making it out of Trunking and Metal Conduit, including painting it the complete cost will be less than £100.

There are no roof bars on my truck and I can only find pairs of roof bars that fit above the doors leaving a long way back unsupported.

Thanks, Tony.
    Its all about the journey not the destination.

Originally posted by Treadlox View Post
    I am in the process of making a full size roof rack after seeing how expensive they are to buy, but I have a sun roof on my 2nd gen. Any ideas as to how I can support the back of it?

I am making it out of Trunking and Metal Conduit, including painting it the complete cost will be less than £100.

There are no roof bars on my truck and I can only find pairs of roof bars that fit above the doors leaving a long way back unsupported.

Thanks, Tony.
    Others have bought roof bars that go from front to back from scrap yards like the ones you see on people carriers or estate cars.

Re-enforce the inside of the roof with some plates for added support...get some cross bars and away you go...
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Yes, thats a good idea and I love the look of that type of roof bar too, but i am afraid to drill the roof because the electric window mech goes a long way back i think.

If it didnt have the sun roof I would make a couple of foot plates and drill those in.

Thanks tho I will look into that.

Comment

To correctly support the back of the rack you will have to remove the headlining and drill no matter what type of rack you make...good luck with the project...
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
          To correctly support the back of the rack you will have to remove the headlining and drill no matter what type of rack you make...good luck with the project...
          Thanks thats great advice, I was hoping to maybe cut out small profiles in the head lining and then fit plastic inspection ports "if thats what you call them" just like the ones you find on some cars that you pop open to find the chassis number under seats or on door sills. I have to find the right product first though because I dont want it look like a dogs dinner.

Sorry about the time it takes me to reply to these posts, I`ve a pretty hectic schedule with work and family, I never get more than a few minutes at a time on the pooter. I do appreciate all the help though.

Cheers, Tony

Comment

Working...
          X