Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Single DIN swap ?

Alrighty.

Wanting to swap stereo from Jimny to the Surf. Single DIN.
    I remember reading that it was easier to do a swap on a 3rd Gen than a 2nd gen,but can't find that thread. Hopefully it wont involve takin half the dash board out!!

Any info appreciated...
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

remove the heater slider control knobs, prize out the wee plastic surround, ( carefully) Lift out the dash trim starting with the section round the handbrake and move forward to the bit round the gear sticks and finally the big part round the radio cage. Its all clip in so easy enough to get out. No need to completely remove the one round the gears, just lift it clear. a few switches to disconnect on the way but its all pretty easy. now you can see the cage and its 4 holding screws.

Just remembered, the big dash trim round the radio has 2 screws holding it which you expose when you remove the heater slider control surround
    Last edited by Bogus; 26 September 2011, 12:37.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Assuming it is a pre facelift Gen 3...

Pull the knobs off the climate control pannel (just yank and they click off)

Prize the climate control facia off (I use trim removal tools, a taped flat screwdriver will work too)

This reveals two screws.. unscrew them.

Lift the handbrake surround straight up (with the centre console open) it should unclick, undo the plugs on the switches.

Lift the gear shifter trin straight up it should just unclick. I usually leave the transfer gaiter attached, if you do remove it be careful of the flimsy plastic clips.

Pull the main dash/radio surround towards you, it should not just unclick (I don't think there are any screws around the ashtray area like on other Toyotas, there aren't on mine anyway) unclip the plugs from clock/switches/ashtray bulb etc.

You can now see the 3 screws that hold in the DIN cage.

Please don;t hack up teh fascia to fit a DIN bezel at is is massively irritating to susquent owners, and looks massively pikey
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

D'oh that reply wasn't there when I clicked reply lol
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
          D'oh that reply wasn't there when I clicked reply lol
          probably because I was editing