Quad bike knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad bike knowledge?

Anybody on here know anything about quad bikes, mechanically?

2 stroke? 4 stroke? problem?
    What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Sorry for the late reply:

Suzuki Quadrunner, 350cc, four stroke.

Mechanical fuel pump, but constantly over fuels, take the plug out and the petrol spits out of the head.Seems like the engine is sucking the fuel through the carb at an alarming rate.

Had the carb looked at, jet is fine as is the chamber fuel float. When I strip it all down it runs fine for about two mins, then the overfuelling starts again.

The bike belongs to an old farmer who lets me on his land. He has a Honda quad, the Suzuki is a spare in effect. Would love to get it working for him so any help is appreciated.

Comment

See if it has the vacuum type fuel tap, if it has the fuel is being drawn through the smaller pipe, if it is the diaphragm is perforated so fuel is allowed past the needle unmetered so it ends up flooding.
        HTH
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Open to any help mate as this has me stumped.Diaphragm is fine but will look at the tap.How do I tell if it is a vacum type tap?

Richard, old farmer, said that the head filled with petrol even though the bike was stood, does that give any clues?

Thanks for all the help by the way.......

Comment

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post
            Open to any help mate as this has me stumped.Diaphragm is fine but will look at the tap.How do I tell if it is a vacum type tap?

Richard, old farmer, said that the head filled with petrol even though the bike was stood, does that give any clues?

Thanks for all the help by the way.......
            If it's a vacuum type tap it will have two pipes connected to it. One will be the vacuum (should be dry) and the other will be a larger bore pipe to let the fuel through (should be wet with petrol). Chances are it may well have a "prime" setting which bypasses the vacuum diaphragm.

It does sound like fuel is leaking through somehow - if it is a vacuum type fuel tap my guess would also be that the diaphragm has either a tiny hole in it or the seal around the edge may have gone. Its also possible that there is some perished rubber stuck in the tap somewhere (or just some crap that has come through the fuel tank (rust, dirt, etc) and got stuck somewhere.
            Last edited by Rustinho; 27 September 2011, 01:30.

Comment

Is it a mechanical or vacuum fuel tap (Petcock)? That's the first thing you need to check. Mechanical ones tend to only have one hose, vacuum ones have 2 hoses.

Test with the engine off.

To test a mechanical one, take the hose off and see if fuel still flows when it's off. If it flows when it's off, it's gubbed.

To test a vacuum one, take both hoses off, if fuel flows, it's gubbed.

If it's flooding with the engine running, it can only be the carb., check the float floats!
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for the help, will try out your suggestions at the weekend.

Apppreciate you all taking the time to help.

Comment

this sounds to me like you need to look a little further into the carb if the float is how they say floating. strip the float out to allow you access to the actual valve that the float works upon normally a pin type thing with flats or grooves down the side of it it may have a small rubber end on it this is the actual valve any dirt or debris in there a tall will hold it open i have even seen them stck just with water in the fuel/gunk in the carb if it is stuck free it off and clean it
                  if the bike stands about a lot put a little 2 stroke oil through it next time its used

always worked with the plant hire gear i used to look after exp the seasonal stuff in storage

Comment

Brilliant advice ,thanks all. It is the tap it seems. Petrol, runs down the vacum pipe and into the front barrel of the carb,hence the chamber filling up with juice when stood and the over fuelling problem.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X