Diff Breathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Breathers

Would anyone like to suggest what would be the minimum ID for the breather tube ?

I have seen 6mm and 8mm being used,but was wandering if this was being used as this size hose is readily available?

I have some fittings that I would like to use some with an ID of 4mm and some with an ID of 1.5mm.

The fittings would only be used actually at the diff and the hose ID would be 6mm for the 4mm ID fitting and 4mm for the 1.5 mm fitting?

Comments suggestions please?
    Last edited by shokenore; 23 September 2011, 18:51.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

I am doing mine in 6mm this weekend so i hope it's ok
    Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      Would anyone like to suggest what would be the minimum ID for the breather tube ?

I have seen 6mm and 8mm being used,but was wandering if this was being used as this size hose is readily available?
      when i did mine all the parts were from a landrover disco diff breather kit<so the same as them,on ebay cheap as
      Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

I don't think it's that important, ( the dia. I mean) it's only to let air in and out,
        I don't run with them (I should really) I just make sure I check/change the oil after a run if there's been lots of water.

edit: That sounded a bit flippant, didn't mean to. They are worth doing, I forget that there is always a lot of water off road in the UK.
        Last edited by slobodan; 23 September 2011, 19:07.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I normally use 6mm hose. and T the rear and front under the bonnet so if a snorkel is added at a later date it is possible to run the breather tube up it.

The diff normally get water in it when wading , the hot diff meets the cold water and the oil contracts creating a low pressure area and the water ingresses.

The diameter for the pipe should allow for this and NOT be able to collapse.
          Last edited by BioHazard; 23 September 2011, 19:13.
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

spent all afternoon pussying around when I should have just pulled my thumb out and got on with it,now doubt has set in and its too dark .damm you internet too many distractions
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

spent all afternoon pussying around when I should have just pulled my thumb out and got on with it,now doubt has set in and its too dark .damm you internet too many distractions
              Then the easy answer is avoid water untill you do it

Comment

If you take the old breather off, you will see that its internal bore is 5mm. Anything above that will breathe fine, but remember that your tube will need to match the diameter of the barbed fitting....Cheers....Mick.

P.S. Toyota do an extended breather fitting. Part no 90404-51319.
                Last edited by MWS; 23 September 2011, 20:05.
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                  If you take the old breather off, you will see that its internal bore is 5mm. Anything above that will breathe fine, but remember that your tube will need to match the diameter of the barbed fitting....Cheers....Mick.

P.S. Toyota do an extended breather fitting. Part no 90404-51319.
                  This no good then?
                  Attached Files
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

This no good then?
                    Nah .... i have some air fittings in the garrage , you can have a set when you pick up the lights

Comment

Go to your local hardware store/merchants, they should have the barbed pipe fittings. Can't remember the thread size 3/8ths NPT I 'think'?

We sell them in brass, I'll see how much if anyone's interested?

Comment

Pulled my thumb out me ass and got on with it,wanted to use the orange ptfe hose but ID too small,"found" a 90' brass elbow and some 6mm braided pvc hose.Hose clipped out of the way of hot/moving bits.Not loving the look of the usual fuel filters used and not picking any up from the motor factors had a bit of lateral thinking and made my own,and Custom filter tucked away in tool compartment.
                        Attached Files
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Well done Ady, but don't forget that you should factor some "slack" into the routing of the tube, so that it doesn't pull tight under maximum axle articulation.......Cheers....M ick.
                          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Have you done the front aswell Shoke's.
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks I thought I was gonna get ribbed for the can of easy start.......

I tucked the hose out of harms way up by the spring cup there is a long loop there probably enough for another 12'' drop .

If it does pull I will just run a longer length (I found a 30 metre coil in the garage)!!!!
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X