Newbie in the North West of England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in the North West of England

Meant to do one of these weeks ago when i first signed up.

Anyways am Gaz (Gareth) 24 and based near Preston work as a mechanic for myself.

Have had 4x4's since i could drive mainly all Land Rovers (think am on my 15th landy) but the surf is my first Toyota.

Anyways more important part the trucks:

Spec as I bought it:

96 3rd Gen Surf
    2 inch lift kit,
    1.5 body lift,
    33" Maxxis Bighorn Tyres x5,
    Wheel spacers,
    Tunit box
    Stainless turbo back Exhaust (think it a powerflow)

Work I've Done So Far:
    Cambelt, brake pads, diffs and transfer box fluid change, silicon induction hose, new wipers.

Current Plans:
    full service, tracking, rear brake shoes, new fuel filler pipe, coolant change, boost gauge, additional water gauge, rust protection, steering rack rebuild, poly bush, possibly change body lift to 2 inch, rock sliders.

Must amit am really lg the Surf and have already clocked up few thousand miles. Been to London and Silverstone and various other places, but haven't given it any proper abuse off road yet. But for few times it has got dirty have found it very capable.

Now dunno if am being very brave or stupid posting my other truck on here with it being a landy

Anyways its a

100 inch Range Rover Hybrid with defender body and tray back desgin

35 inch BF MT Tyres
    15x10j Rims
    Terrafirma Steering Damper
    Terrafirma plus 2 inch shocks
    2 inch lift Range Rover springs
    2 inch rear spring lifting blocks
    2 inch rear shock lowering bracekts
    Extend Bump Stops
    Extended Brake lines, plus rears re routed to allow more drop
    Fully Poly Bushed
    3 inch Cranked Rear Arms
    Rear diff rebuilt
    Brake overhaul
    Jaguar SU Carbs
    Electronic Ignition
    Uprated Fuel Pump
    Partial Rewire
    Exhaust system

To Do:
    Fit lpg kit, repaint the damaged areas, wire up roof lights, rust protection

Future Plans:
    Body lift, rock sliders, dislocation cones, uprated prop shafts, caster correction radius arms, spare wheel, custom exhaust
    Last edited by SRI_GAZ; 10 August 2013, 00:56.

Surf looks nice. Landy looks shite, sorry.

What's a 'Tunit Box'?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

And the 'North West' of where?

Comment

Hi, welcome

As Andy said, nice surf, shame about the other. I'm under no illusions about the relative abilities of a surf and landy offroad, but I think you will grow to love the surf's ability to actually start and work more than the hypothetical abilities of the LR to do stuff if it wasn't constantly broken

I like that you painted the zebra stripes then parked it in the snow. You obviously have the appropriate level of shame and were trying to hide it...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          And the 'North West' of where?
          England, I assume. Grumpy guts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            England, I assume.
            Never assume

Comment

Never assume
              If you say 'it makes an ass out of u and me' I will get in my car, drive up there right now and burn your house down.

Comment

tunit box plugs into ecu and is said to increase power, torque, fuel economy.

Has settings from 1 - 9, think one on my truck is currently set to 4

Its basically remap but with advantage of you can adjust, switch it off and go back to factory.

I haven't actually touched it or turned it off, to see if it makes any different, but the truck does go very well.

and the north west of England

Comment

Originally posted by SRI_GAZ View Post
                  Turn it up to 11.

Comment

If you say 'it makes an ass out of u and me' I will get in my car, drive up there right now and burn your house down.
                    I wouldn't dare...

Comment

Turn it up to 11.
                      Don't tempt me, but i'd dread to think what mpg would drop down too.

Comment

Originally posted by SRI_GAZ View Post
                        4 is probably normal. I imagine 1-3 would be normal too, 5-9 are probably essentially normal as well.
                        Last edited by Albannach; 18 September 2011, 02:44. Reason: missed a probably. Don't want to be shot or the likes...

Comment

Hi, welcome

As Andy said, nice surf, shame about the other. I'm under no illusions about the relative abilities of a surf and landy offroad, but I think you will grow to love the surf's ability to actually start and work more than the hypothetical abilities of the LR to do stuff if it wasn't constantly broken

I like that you painted the zebra stripes then parked it in the snow. You obviously have the appropriate level of shame and were trying to hide it...
                          Cheers for the welcome

I'll be honest the surf is much nicer drive on the road, esp long distance, but an off roading weekend i'd always pick the landy am afraid. Touch wood never broke it badly or broken down bar simple little things like getting engine too wet, cv joint and my battery going pop in cold weather last winter but that was my own fault for not building battery box. Plus parts are cheap for them and ready available.
                          However if i was going camping with mates in lakes I'd happily take the surf
                          As for mpg there both as bad as each other.

As for paint job, that was previous owner, i've just never seen point in changing it, and am not arsed about damaging it as 5 mins with tin of white hammerite and black hammerrite and its fixed. Plus exhaust note makes it very hard to hide seeing as it can be heard about half mile away lol
                          Last edited by SRI_GAZ; 18 September 2011, 02:57.

Comment

4 is probably normal. I imagine 1-3 would be normal too, 5-9 are probably essentially normal as well.
                            http://www.tunit.com/ that's the company and probably explains better how it works and what its meant to do.

Comment

Hi

Comment

Working...
                              X