Any input/comments please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any input/comments please

Ok! I have this vehicle, which I love driving and the wife enjoys it even more (the driving). This red over silver 2.4 "93 hilux surf was purchased when I didn't even know what it was back in 2005. I replaced the knackered shockers for the origional vari ones and other bits & bobs. The recon bottom end was from stevo and the recently fitted head from roughtrax. I also did the belt/tensioner, rad cap, thermostat recon injectors and all the other gubbins (and I've now decided to get a new rad). SO do I still have to add an ATF cooler, aftermarket temp guage, oil cooler and vents in the bonnet so i can go up a steep hill or a long motorway incline without sh***ing myself.
    Whilst the truck's been off the road I've been driving an M reg mondeo, a "99 volvo S80 and an LDV van and not once had that chest pounding feeling of trepidation when aproaching anything bigger than a speed bump, and paying more attention to the temp guage than the road.
    Is it just me ?
    All the best

Originally posted by Thrifty
    they are divas for sure..but great fun when they are running fine
    Wife or truck ? LOL

Cheers.
    All the best

Comment

Originally posted by frontman View Post
      not once had that chest pounding feeling of trepidation when aproaching anything bigger than a speed bump, and paying more attention to the temp guage than the road.
      Is it just me ?
      Funny I get the same but not about over heating but more whether 1 st gear is going to be low enough to get up the hill

Comment

Morning boys. The answer is easy. Three litre turbo diesel. Mine seems to have bags of grunt, even with 32's and standard gearing.....Cheers.....Mick
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          Morning boys. The answer is easy. Three litre turbo diesel. Mine seems to have bags of grunt, even with 32's and standard gearing.....Cheers.....Mick
          Hmmm!!!
          No need for that mick! I have the 3ltr and at the moment the 2.4 will p:ss all over it! (heads gone) how ya doing anyway mick? is the family ok mate? i will have to try and get up for a family visit and nip over to see you, i'm just not sure when yet...
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
            but great fun when they are running fine
            Hmmm!

That statement is said loosely i hope thrifty?
            But i for one would not have spent an inordinate amount of money fixing any other car like i have just done with my truck! It's funny how something so ###### impractical for normal use gets under ya skin, strangely enough my 2.4 didn't really have cooling issue's, yet the 3rd gen has just blown the head or gasket but i'm taking no chances and ordered the full kit from Roughtrax so it goes to show not all 2.4's are bad..

Comment

<sigh>

2.7i

Stays cool so you can keep a Mars bar in the centre console without ending up with 'lake mars' there.

Cheaper to run.

More powerful.

Quieter.

Cheaper to buy than 3.0 of same age with higher miles.

Not affected by the LEZbiens - apparently.

Dear me, what a bunch of luddites!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                <sigh>

2.7i

Stays cool so you can keep a Mars bar in the centre console without ending up with 'lake mars' there.

Cheaper to run.

More powerful.

Quieter.

Yep!
                But i for one like the old oily piece of sh@t that is a diesel but i could be classed as a neanderthal in the modern world. petrol's are fine if you like them and, yes they are quieter with better power spread but and here's the big point for me in all this.....They run like a dog when you use veg oil as fuel.....

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                  Hmmm!!!
                  No need for that mick! I have the 3ltr and at the moment the 2.4 will p:ss all over it! (heads gone) how ya doing anyway mick? is the family ok mate? i will have to try and get up for a family visit and nip over to see you, i'm just not sure when yet...
                  Hey Tony. We're all great. Hope yours are too. I'm sorry to hear about your head. It's a bit more unexpected on a 3rd gen. Hope you get it sorted with the minimum grief and expenditure......If you're up here visiting family, don't bother ringing me, cause you're not welcome!..................Just joking, mate....It would be a pleasure to see you....Give me a shout and I'll put the kettle on (It really suits me.).........Cheers.......Mick .
                  " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    <sigh>

2.7i

Cheaper to run.

More powerful.

Quieter.

I've got two!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      I've got two!
                      Your just a ###### showoff

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                        Hey Tony. We're all great. Hope yours are too. I'm sorry to hear about your head. It's a bit more unexpected on a 3rd gen. Hope you get it sorted with the minimum grief and expenditure......If you're up here visiting family, don't bother ringing me, cause you're not welcome!..................Just joking, mate....It would be a pleasure to see you....Give me a shout and I'll put the kettle on (It really suits me.).........Cheers.......Mick .
                        HaHaHa ###### northerner's

Families ok Mick aye the truck was a kick in the gonads but at least it will be fine from here on in....fingers crossed.

Comment

Ok! I have this vehicle, which I love driving and the wife enjoys it even more (the driving). This red over silver 2.4 "93 hilux surf was purchased when I didn't even know what it was back in 2005. I replaced the knackered shockers for the origional vari ones and other bits & bobs. The recon bottom end was from stevo and the recently fitted head from roughtrax. I also did the belt/tensioner, rad cap, thermostat recon injectors and all the other gubbins (and I've now decided to get a new rad). SO do I still have to add an ATF cooler, aftermarket temp guage, oil cooler and vents in the bonnet so i can go up a steep hill or a long motorway incline without sh***ing myself.
                          Whilst the truck's been off the road I've been driving an M reg mondeo, a "99 volvo S80 and an LDV van and not once had that chest pounding feeling of trepidation when aproaching anything bigger than a speed bump, and paying more attention to the temp guage than the road.
                          Is it just me ?
                          Horses for coursesAll vehicles have an achilles heel , unfortunately your truck would appear to have had a whole achilles leg.
                          I think it has been said that Surf's have a unique driving experience.
                          With regards to the standard temperature gauge if you search around you will found enough threads to make you realise that fitting an aftermarket guage is kind of a good idea.

Seeing as you have a "new" engine now and new rad? I can suggest you have a look at the viscous fan "mod".
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                            Horses for courses

Seeing as you have a "new" engine now and new rad? I can suggest you have a look at the viscous fan "mod".
                            Sorry I left the fan re-oil off the list, done.

As for the 2.7i.
                            A) How can it be cheaper to run ?
                            B) The Mrs has mentioned getting a 3l surf, would it be cheaper or around the same money for a 2.7i ?
                            All the best

Comment

Sorry I left the fan re-oil off the list, done.

As for the 2.7i.
                              A) How can it be cheaper to run ? Petrol is cheaper, mpg is slightly better, it's more sprightly, no turbo or timing belt or fuel pump leaks to worry about.
                              B) The Mrs has mentioned getting a 3l surf, would it be cheaper or around the same money for a 2.7i ?
                              Short answer, no. The 2.7 is a 3rd gen so prices will be higher than a 3.0 2nd gen.

Just this one on e-bay at the moment and is £500 over priced IMO.
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hil...item4aa69a679e

Comment

Working...
                              X