Finally cured.. ( I HOPE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally cured.. ( I HOPE)

Well after trying shed loads of different things, replacing this, replacing that.. then things breaking

seems like I'm getting there..

this week has seen both lower wishbones off, bushes replaced for polybush ones. (thanks Tony for sorting the pressing out/in). Also, replaced all the front arb bushes for poly ones along with the top of the shock (damper)

I've removed the aircon parts, pump. hoses, rad&fans etc as there wasnt any gas in them, and the rad was fully clogged up, so no point in having it (thats what windows are for)

Got the ptiman arm from Scottie (Does fit in the end) eventually onto the temporary power steering box from Tintin - was a mission getting the old one off, had to get the grinder out.. Sorted now tho
    (I say temporary as it will get replaced once mine has been refurbed and it makes a bit of a funny noise, but that might have been my fault for not bleeding it properly)

Fitted new complete track rods both sides

Results

Front arb is now very stiff and not wobbly - once possibilty of the rattle cured..

Wishbones now have no movement in them at all (left was worse than right one)

Track rod ball joints nice n stiff so tightens that up (idler arm was replaced a few months ago)
    (ball joints replaced 8months ago along with the bronze bushes)

top of the Shock mounts (dampers if you prefer) felt a little loose, the rubbers supplied by RT when fitted had destroyed themselves.. Where the shock top mounts its much smaller than the hole in the chassis, so was wobbly, the rubbers were getting caught up and chewed up - possibilty of rattle there - but the new poly bushes are shaped so fit into the holes thus supporting much better!!

I've just bolted everything back together, visually set the camber straight and wheels pointing straight (will get it set up properly in the week) and gone for a little test run..

First fire up, horrible noise from the front, gurgling etc, so i think there was still air in the PS system.. topped up the fluid and its not as bad now..

Went for a quick blast round the estate, up n down the pot hole filled road and..

NO ###### RATTLE..

Just a nice firm ride - ok the tracking is out but everything felt so nice and tight..

I'm knackered, but made up!!

Big thanks to all thats helped get this far - including Wendy who today had on her boiler suit and was helping too!!

Tomorrow - its Raise Tilerjohns surf time!!!

Sadly i didnt take the camera out..

Good news is always good to hear...well done..
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Working...
    X