anyone knows why is this? see pic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone knows why is this? see pic.

i was checking where is a diesel leak and i saw this, see pic.
    anyone knows why is this? cable tie? what it does???
    Attached Files
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

It's the vacuum supply to the EGR. it's been removed to disable the EGR, and tied like that to seal it.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

great thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        It's the vacuum supply to the EGR. it's been removed to disable the EGR, and tied like that to seal it.
        No, it's the vacuum supply for the small butterfly which closes partially and allows EGR operation along with the vacuum supply to the EGR valve. Disabling this is not necessary and only creates more problems, including rough engine shutdown.

Both vacuum hoses to the dual diaphragm need to be connected so the butterfly closes on shutdown. The small butterfly will not operate at all with botton hose disabled. The correct way to disable the EGR is at the EGR Valve itself and leave all other hoses connected. If EGR Valve is suspect and possibly not closing or leaking, then blanking plates will be necessary.

Nev
        Last edited by NiftyNev; 2 September 2011, 23:43.

Comment

Here's some info regarding the VSVs which are under the manifold.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=25419

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            No
            I stand corrected; again

Although, in my defence ... ach, why bother
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

great thanks. dont need to sorted just leave as it is. shame i just put blanking plates on the egr

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                great thanks. dont need to sorted just leave as it is. shame i just put blanking plates on the egr
                This shows how the vacuum pipes should be connected if you've blanked off the EGR:

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/articles.php?rid=6

Comment

great

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                    Unless you have removed the VSVs associated with the EGR Valve and the Small Butterfly and done the modification as per the above link then you need to remove the zip tie from this hose, otherwise you may end up damaging engine mounts because of the rough engine shutdown.

The article linked to, disables the small butterfly at all times other than engine shutdown. I don't like this and prefer just to disable the EGR Valve itself and still allow the small butterfly to partially close on decelleration to aid engine braking and close at shutdown.

Nev

Comment

more importantly .... whay have you got a finger cable tied under the bonnet?
                      Nick...... Turning Japanese, I really think so !!

Comment

Unless you have removed the VSVs associated with the EGR Valve and the Small Butterfly and done the modification as per the above link then you need to remove the zip tie from this hose, otherwise you may end up damaging engine mounts because of the rough engine shutdown.

The article linked to, disables the small butterfly at all times other than engine shutdown. I don't like this and prefer just to disable the EGR Valve itself and still allow the small butterfly to partially close on decelleration to aid engine braking and close at shutdown.

Nev
                        this is what i have done http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm
                        and then 6month later realized that cable tie (with FINGER not included)

Comment

Start the engine and watch as you turn ignition off. Remove the cable tie and do the same again. See if the engine shakes less with cable tie removed.

Nev

Comment

Nev
                            done it, but not much difference, (or is just me looking for drastic difference)

Comment

Working...
                            X