3rd battery, leisure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd battery, leisure

is someone got an diagram how to connect a 3rd leisure batt.?

thanks
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/electrical.htm

Nev

Comment

cool thanks,
      im thinking to fix the 3rd batt. outside, somewhere along the chassis, got same space due body lift. anyone done this??

Comment

Ive been looking at doing this for a while so I can run an inverter in the boot for camping and have some tunes whilst chiiling at the beach or bbq.

I was initially thinking of putting the leisure battery under the boot floor where I have heaps of room by welding a support to the chassis and sitting the battery in a sealed plastic or grp battery box (as often found in race cars) to weather proof it. I have noted that the battery can be mounted under the passenger seat but without looking at the size of the batteries cant comment on the fit but is worth considering.

Comment

i cheked to put it under the seat but my batt. doesnt fit, its too big

Comment

I was thinking on an additional leisure battery for camping. Was going to house it in the boot somewhere.
            I have twin electrics for towing,so was going to take the feed for charging battery from the socket intended to charge battery in caravan( or whatever).
            www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

thanks i think i will combine those 2 together, cables from tow hitch and space underneath.

Comment

Id have to agree with that. might try and get the supports welded in whilst the body is off for the battery box. Will let you know how it goes!

Comment

This is the topic i started Here. Lets you know the wiring.
                  www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Or go down the " more money than sense" route...

Junk the two STD batteries and replace with...

Red top optima battery for starting.

Yellow top optima for leisure use.

No need to do anything else.....
                    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
                      Or go down the " more money than sense" route...

Junk the two STD batteries and replace with...

Red top optima battery for starting.

Yellow top optima for leisure use.

No need to do anything else.....
                      Could you use two Yellow top's? one for starting one for leisure?
                      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                        Could you use two Yellow top's? one for starting one for leisure?
                        Yep that's fine..If you already have them....but you may as well get the right ones if your buying them new of second hand. The red cranks a bit more and the yellow discharges a bit slower...same price for both.... And yes I have more money than sense...still I'm happy and as I said a straight swap and no arseing around..just isolate the red when camping using the yellow then in the morning isolate the yellow...start the truck with the red...re-connect the yellow and away you go...

Ebay for battery isolators...£5
                        .... Which was nice.

Comment

witch one would you recommend?
                          http://www.optima-batterien.eu/filea...PRIVATE_UK.pdf
                          there is a few of the red,and yellow.

Comment

Ones that fit your existing trays with the correct terminals. Red are designed as starter / vehicle power batteries, yellows can handle deeper discharges without damage so are better suited to 'leisure' use.

The army use Optimas on a lot of their vehicles these days, so as an EMC Engineer, I'm quite familiar with the performance of them.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              Ones that fit your existing trays with the correct terminals. Red are designed as starter / vehicle power batteries, yellows can handle deeper discharges without damage so are better suited to 'leisure' use.

The army use Optimas on a lot of their vehicles these days, so as an EMC Engineer, I'm quite familiar with the performance of them.
                              Good to know I got that right...... The tray/size of them is a bit of an issue. They are smaller, so what I have done is get a piece of wood cut the same size of the tray. This lifts them up and the original bar holds them in place. The yellow top which sits on the drivers side uses the original batt cables. The red top on the passengers side I had to fit a longer V+e cable from the breakers.
                              .... Which was nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X