some things have come to light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some things have come to light

Some time ago i changed the sensor that kicks in the electric fan.Been great, but ive has these over heat probs even when it kicks in. However, as the scrapper sensor had a spade fit i rewired to fit. It now seems that may be ONE of the factors causing my surf to over heat. ANYONE got a grey connecter type as apparently they are set at lower temp to kick in ?? (price ins post if you have)

2nd discovery is the middle hose (on it when bought) is a cut down pipe that didnt quite fit to suit the clip, so it blew off a few weeks ago.(possibly over time its worked its way off) New one due.

Back last year, an acquaintance who fitted a SS backbox to my Subaru, said he had a make do box that would fit the Surf and save the cost of a new or SS back box. Having mentioned to my other mate that the Surf seemed to get better MPG with a hole in the original back box, he explained that the back box i had fitted, may be to restrictive, so SHOULD i fit just a plain pipe as some on here have done, or am i going to cause emission probs and the MOT fails.?

Finally borrowed a Impact gun so Air Con rad coming off tomorrow, Is there any point in taking the rest of the air con out or just the rad.

After that, can get at main Rad and drain properly, refil as per needed.

Finally, had the head tested by my mate and IT HASNT CRACKED. Am i a lucky sod or not ?

nigel
    Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

In terms of taking the air con rads off you might as well take as much of it off as you can manage. If you take the pump, etc off it'll save a bit of weight as well as making access to some things around the engine a bit easier.

Head not cracked = yes, you are a bl00dy lucky sod!

Comment

Originally posted by nigel129 View Post
      Some time ago i changed the sensor that kicks in the electric fan.Been great, but ive has these over heat probs even when it kicks in. However, as the scrapper sensor had a spade fit i rewired to fit. It now seems that may be ONE of the factors causing my surf to over heat. ANYONE got a grey connecter type as apparently they are set at lower temp to kick in ?? (price ins post if you have)

2nd discovery is the middle hose (on it when bought) is a cut down pipe that didnt quite fit to suit the clip, so it blew off a few weeks ago.(possibly over time its worked its way off) New one due.

Back last year, an acquaintance who fitted a SS backbox to my Subaru, said he had a make do box that would fit the Surf and save the cost of a new or SS back box. Having mentioned to my other mate that the Surf seemed to get better MPG with a hole in the original back box, he explained that the back box i had fitted, may be to restrictive, so SHOULD i fit just a plain pipe as some on here have done, or am i going to cause emission probs and the MOT fails.?

Finally borrowed a Impact gun so Air Con rad coming off tomorrow, Is there any point in taking the rest of the air con out or just the rad.

After that, can get at main Rad and drain properly, refil as per needed.

Finally, had the head tested by my mate and IT HASNT CRACKED. Am i a lucky sod or not ?

nigel

Why go to the grief of removing all the air con "plumbing" just to drain the rad ?
      Why not just take off the rad cowl ? With the rad cowl off their is enough wiggle room with a well greased arm and a pair of pliers to undo the rad drain cock.
      If the viscous fan is working correctly I can not see why you would need to mess around with a thermo switch to turn on the electric fan?
      Have you checked the viscous fan?
      I would check the following before removing air con pumps and the like;
      Have you flushed the cooling system and properly filled and burped it?
      New pressure cap fitted?
      Viscous fan ,if you are not sure that the viscous fan has been modded do the silicone fluid mod (after I did my viscous fan I spent a good 4-6 hours messing around off road and the thermo fan did not kick in once and the temp gauge stayed within the normal range.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
        Why go to the grief of removing all the air con "plumbing" just to drain the rad ?
        Why not just take off the rad cowl ? With the rad cowl off their is enough wiggle room with a well greased arm and a pair of pliers to undo the rad drain cock.

Hishok, Two reasons for removing the air con rad, theres no drain plug, and surplus to requirements, cant get at hose, it must be some sort of after market rad. Long and short of it , itll make things a dam sight easier in the future as i dont use air con anyway. Not sure about the rest of the aircon system yet, but if its easy, thatll be coming off as well.
        If the viscous fan is working correctly I can not see why you would need to mess around with a thermo switch to turn on the electric fan?
        Have you checked the viscous fan?

Viscous fan "seems" fine, mate stopped it while running (with his fingers) and generally said "fan is fine" so that not a prob.

I would check the following before removing air con pumps and the like;
        Have you flushed the cooling system and properly filled and burped it?
        New pressure cap fitted?

New cap fitted before the mid pipe blew off last week, pipe is/was def to short so may have come off by its self). Boiling up may be caused by wrong sensor fitted to kick in electric fan. I fitted the blade/spade connector type, not the grey flat plug type. Though im yet to be told that either trips the lecky fan at different temps. Just given GMF part number to see if cheaper that Roughtrax.

Viscous fan ,if you are not sure that the viscous fan has been modded do the silicone fluid mod (after I did my viscous fan I spent a good 4-6 hours messing around off road and the thermo fan did not kick in once and the temp gauge stayed within the normal range.
        I have no idea if the Vis Fan has been modded, is "as bought" However, ive read one was 50mph, and the mod 70mph, BUT
        I only get these over heat probs when towing. Other that
        n that, she runs sweet as a nut.

As an alternative to replacing the fan sensor, i may either jump the cross the relay, or fit a switch which would leave the relay active, but fetting under the fuse box and working out which wire is which may be beyond me. My idea was, jump the relay and leave the lecky fan run while towing. A switch would give me more control and switch on before big long hills instead of on all the time.

Hope thats makes sense. thanks for the reply. Still have to find out best course for exhaust, wales to fareham, 200 plus miles, 3/4ish tank with hole in exhaust....wales to Birdgewater somerset, hole fixed, renalt back box, 3/4 tank or more. But will it pass emmisions without a back box at all.(tranny pipe, or so ive read) ??

nigel

Comment

OK If you only over heat when towing,how much are you pulling?
          Fit an autobox cooler http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36364

If your mate can stop the fan when the engine is running either he is a T1000 or one of the later T800 models or your fan is fubar'd
          Do the silicone mod ,costs about £6 to £8 http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70158
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

OK If you only over heat when towing,how much are you pulling?
            Fit an autobox cooler http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36364

If your mate can stop the fan when the engine is running either he is a T1000 or one of the later T800 models or your fan is fubar'd
            Do the silicone mod ,costs about £6 to £8 http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70158
            Ill ask him about the mod, but good will only goes so far ( i fix his puters, he helps with Surf). As for the atf cooler, yes, on the list, and when the air cons gone, possibly easier to fit and locate a suitable position.

nigel

Comment

Ill ask him about the mod, but good will only goes so far ( i fix his puters, he helps with Surf). As for the atf cooler, yes, on the list, and when the air cons gone, possibly easier to fit and locate a suitable position.

nigel
              Nope he no terminator, but even i was told that you "should" be able to stop a viscous fan, even when "known as workin" thats how they work, and increase in speed when revs are higher. If you cant stop it it may be a problem.
              Just repeating what i was told previously.
              Please remember that the surf really only has to do any real work(towing) three or four times a year, so i dont really want to throw £ after£ at it.
              Last edited by nigel129; 31 August 2011, 18:06.

Comment

Not wanting to presume anyone's budget that is why I suggested fan mod then auto box cooler even a second hand oil cooler will be better than overheating!!

My auto cooler was formed from seamless copper hand formed by me
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Not wanting to presume anyone's budget that is why I suggested fan mod then auto box cooler even a second hand oil cooler will be better than overheating!!

My auto cooler was formed from seamless copper hand formed by me
                  Hi again shok, your quite right, buget is the biggest facor as ive also got to get a Fiesta through the MOT after the pot holes have played hell with it, But id like one more trip with the Surf and caravan before putting it to bed for winter.
                  So at the moment im looking for cheapest way out.
                  Direct question......
                  does the spade/blade type sensor quick in at a higher temp than the grey plug type.
                  Lets get that one out of the way first, because if they are the same but diff connections, i can knock that off my shopping list.
                  http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=948 this is what originally came off, replaced with

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=947 this i have !

apart from price, whats the difference ??
                  nigel
                  Last edited by nigel129; 31 August 2011, 21:14.

Comment

Id just like to say, that the viscous fan thing is not a "mod" you are simply changing the silicone oil in it, which has almost certainly degraded in the 15-20 years its been there.
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Nope he no terminator, but even i was told that you "should" be able to stop a viscous fan, even when "known as workin" thats how they work, and increase in speed when revs are higher. If you cant stop it it may be a problem.
                      Just repeating what i was told previously.
                      Please remember that the surf really only has to do any real work(towing) three or four times a year, so i dont really want to throw £ after£ at it.
                      Just a small point to clarify.
                      The viscous fan works on heat/friction and although it will "speed" up with engine rpm to a point ie over 40 45 mph the fan will be "free wheelin" as there should be enough airflow through the rad to provide engine cooling.

The real point is the silicone fluid which unlike other oils ,silicone does not get thinner as it gets hotter.

As Bogus has said it is not really a mod more really a requirement on a twenty year old truck.

I was dubious before doing my fan but was amazed at the difference.
                      I would say that if you are uncertain that the "mod " has been done then DO IT.
                      A couple of hours and I spent less than a tenner on silicone fluid.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

temp sensor

Hi again shok, your quite right, buget is the biggest facor as ive also got to get a Fiesta through the MOT after the pot holes have played hell with it, But id like one more trip with the Surf and caravan before putting it to bed for winter.
                        So at the moment im looking for cheapest way out.
                        Direct question......
                        does the spade/blade type sensor quick in at a higher temp than the grey plug type.
                        Lets get that one out of the way first, because if they are the same but diff connections, i can knock that off my shopping list.
                        http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=948 this is what originally came off, replaced with

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=947 this i have !

apart from price, whats the difference ??
                        nigel
                        i replaced mine with a toyota carina ii sensor for under a £10 last year and it works fine it looks the same it fits and was about £6. ive the part no. somewhere think it was an intermotor part, il have a look and post no. soon it saves a fortune, hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by wald View Post
                          i replaced mine with a toyota carina ii sensor for under a £10 last year and it works fine it looks the same it fits and was about £6. ive the part no. somewhere think it was an intermotor part, il have a look and post no. soon it saves a fortune, hope this helps
                          Hi, a part number would be great if you can find it. Ive put an over ride switch in for the time being, but id prefer a new sensor if i can get one.
                          Thanks for the reply.
                          nigel

Comment

sensor

hi, just read posts again and found that you have replaced a fan switch with a temp sendor ie the 1 to the gauge thats why it didnt work. found a part no. for the sendor about £6.49 its xtt37 or52570 but will have to take switch off as i cant find box. i got mine from a parts supplier, just walked in and said can you find me this a carina mark 2 90 ish model fan switch because i too did not want to pay££££££££ i had previously hot wired mine for several months. hey presto a match within minutes that saved ££££££ will take off and see for you and top up antifreeze while im at it, post soon

Comment

sendor

just got the part no.5198 and a link
                              http://trepunti.net/PartLists.aspxmo...20Fan%20Switch
                              on taking mine out it ###### well snapped and now i need 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              plus the old 1 has to come out
                              dont laugh its not funny, on the bright side its winter nearly and im sure it was under a £10 at my local spares place.

this bit of misfortune should help many
                              gonna go pub now seen me arse

Comment

Working...
                              X