Tow bar alterations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow bar alterations

After the recent trip to avalanche i have decided i need to do something with my tow bar. I was planning to make the drop down bit in the middle detatchable and leave and leave the rest in place to protect the rear bumper. From a legal and safety point of view would this be ok? The work would be done by a local fabricator as my pigeon sh*t welding isn't up to much. I Know removing it totally would be preferable but i do use it quite often.
    Dazza
    Non consternationes.

Originally posted by dazandcaz View Post
    After the recent trip to avalanche i have decided i need to do something with my tow bar. I was planning to make the drop down bit in the middle detatchable and leave and leave the rest in place to protect the rear bumper. From a legal and safety point of view would this be ok? The work would be done by a local fabricator as my pigeon sh*t welding isn't up to much. I Know removing it totally would be preferable but i do use it quite often.
    Dazza
    This any use to you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable...item56427d0b8f

This will give you an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69008

For simplicity, the best place to locate the electric sockets is probably through the bumper rather than wiring up extra sockets as per the above thread.

Comment

Something like this

Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Thanks for the links and pics but i was thinking more along the lines of cutting the drop down bracket from the box section that runs just under the bumper, then having it re-welded to some heavy gauge angle or channel section that can be bolted back to the box section under the bumper. This should give me about 4-5" extra clearance at the rear as my surf is standard height at the min, hopefully this would give retain some protection to the bottom of the bumper.
        Non consternationes.

Comment

Daz, step away from the tow bar, order some nylon blocks from expajun, plus 2 springs from rough trax and swap your tyres for some big uns. There's your 4 inches plus of clearance! only a day to fit all that with a bit of help from the boys...
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            Daz, step away from the tow bar, order some nylon blocks from expajun, plus 2 springs from rough trax and swap your tyres for some big uns. There's your 4 inches plus of clearance! only a day to fit all that with a bit of help from the boys...
            Funnily enough, i am going to get some roughtrax +2 springs and probably bj spacers as soon as i have sorted out my cv's. The rest is just pipe dreams, at least for a while
            Non consternationes.

Comment

Working...
            X