She stuck some petrol in the 3.0 ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She stuck some petrol in the 3.0 ...

Just back from hols, collected the truck, and the missus put petrol in instead of diesel... There's about a gallon of weasel and 3 of petrol. I'm thinking (hoping) it'll be OK if I drain the tank and lob a tankful of diesel in ..?

Or is there anything else I need to know before I pile in?

It ran a few miles, then started to splutter. I guessed what she'd done and pulled over. Due to being totally knackered and having a petrol car on the hols I s'pose. Dammit.
    Need the truck tomorrow so off out now to drain it off. Deep joy!

Cheers all.

If she only put in 3 gallons fill the thing to the brim with diesel and it should be diluted enough ...... Many years ago they used to add petrol to stop it from freezing in cold weather

oh and stick a new fuel filter on primed with diesel , you may need to bleed the fuel system at the injectors as well

Someone is bound to disagree with me but that's what i would do
    Last edited by BioHazard; 28 August 2011, 18:03.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Do as Ian has just said
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks guys, will do, cheers.

Comment

Blimey, no worries, put a load of veg oil or diesel in - I often put a few litres of petrol in mine to thin it a bit. I was thinking of going out next Saturady night and getting a few drunks to wee in the tank - it seems to run on anything!

Comment

Ta. Reckon it's about 1/4 petrol if the tank was brimmed, no idea if that's Ok or too thinned. Siphoned most off just now anyways. Will chuck diesel in tomorrow and have a try at bleeding through if it won't fire, she won't run now. All a bit new to me, this injection and diesel malarky, it's my first weasel, I'm more used to 60s cars

Comment

Petrol needs a spark whilst diesel combusts under pressure , you have too much petrol in it atm so you will need to bleed the system before you get combustion again. Also you will need to pump the primer ontop of the fuel filter to reprime the system after bleeding ,as i said before filling the fuel filter with diesel will help also make sure you have plenty of charge in the battery as it may need to be turned over for a while

Comment

Ta again. May be back tomorrow asking basic questions ....

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
                  Ta again. May be back tomorrow asking basic questions ....
                  Like Green or Black?
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Don't laugh to much at his wife.

When I worked rapid responce, three times in three years the off going shift filled my vehicle with petrol. Twice I managed to nurse it through the night until there was room to add Diesel, the third time she coughed to a stop 6 miles from the office (they'd put super unleaded into it that time).
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                      Don't laugh to much at his wife.

When I worked rapid responce, three times in three years the off going shift filled my vehicle with petrol. Twice I managed to nurse it through the night until there was room to add Diesel, the third time she coughed to a stop 6 miles from the office (they'd put super unleaded into it that time).
                      Once a year then.... hmmm wasn't on your birthday or april 1st by any chance?

How hard can it be to select the right nozzel? You don't accidently buy Pepsi when you want Coke do you?
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                        Once a year then.... hmmm wasn't on your birthday or april 1st by any chance?

How hard can it be to select the right nozzel? You don't accidently buy Pepsi when you want Coke do you?
                        Got to agree.... I drive six different cars through work and personal and have never put the wrong fuel in... Does not make me clever...just aware.
                        .... Which was nice.

Comment

Wel I'm getting some mileage out of it.
                          O dear scuse the pun!

AA matey said the AA alone do 65,000 call outs a year for wrong fuel!! Says he does 1-2 a week himself. Often bloke takes wife's car, or vice versa, different fuels, gets it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                            dont laugh its his wife lol...i did that shyt in our astra.....get over it drain it and go from scratch... although its a pain
                            Wow you have done it all haven't you

Comment

Working...
                            X