Early signs of something wearing out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early signs of something wearing out?

Just a quick query to the more mechanically experienced folks out there.

I have noticed that the steering has, on a small number of occasions so far, suddenly become extremely heavy (as in power steering not working).

On each of the 3 or 4 times this has happened the engine has been at very low revs (a smidge up from tickover) and turning tightly left or right close to full lock (but not quite on full lock), whilst using the brakes.

What sort of things should I be checking for wear that might be causing this? Does the power steering fluid need draining and replacing? Could the steering belt need tensioning?

Any reasonable ideas welcomed! Thanks in advance, folks.

The reasonable advice...check PS pump belt tension, and also condition of the fluid...adjust/replace, as neccesary.

Unreasonable advice...commit bigamy.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Check the steering box is not leaking , the fluid and if you have been off road there is nothing trapped in there
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Open the window, if there is any noise you need to check the hub on that side!
        Mine had exactly the same symptoms, turned out to be the cv was fubared!

Alan
        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

The belt could be loose but before you tighten it make sure the main mounting bolt for the pump is tight. These can come loose and allow the pump to wobble around which causes wear on the bolt and they eventually break.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post

Unreasonable advice...commit bigamy.
            Yes....could prove expensive for some........

Comment

I had similar symptons on a supra.. if the steering gets lighter once you pick the revs up I'd suggest the PS pump.

I also once had the steering get heavier regardless of revs... it turned out to be a seized ball joint... whch then failed

Luckily the thing was so low the crash to earth did no damage!
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
              X