Off this afternoon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off this afternoon.

Setting off later, to spend just over a week in the New Galloway Forrest. There's loads of old logging trails to explore, so I'll try to take a few nice piccies to post when I get back.....Cheers....Mick.
    Last edited by MWS; 28 August 2011, 18:46. Reason: Spelling!
    " Time wounds all heels ".

You walking it or driving? Thers a few wee forest drives you can do.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/R...ayForestDrives
    Last edited by smiffy; 21 August 2011, 10:00.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Vehicle access is limited. Only the roads with the 'Forest Drive' are accessible to the public. I've walked, cycled and driven a few roads and seen plenty of wild camping. I think as long as you leave the place as you found it,there would be no complaints. Taking litter away is a must,dont go round chopping down trees. If having a fire,dig a pit,then fill back in on leaving the site.

Comment

Depending on where your going and you dont minda a walk,these are great places to stay!

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/locationmap.asp

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
          You walking it or driving? Thers a few wee forest drives you can do.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/R...ayForestDrives
          Hi Smiffy. Just driving. The other "4x4" is a Honda CRV, so we won't be doing anything too challenging. I've been on Raiders Road several times over the years. It's a nice drive. I have probably been on the Carrick road, but didn't know what it was called at the time. Thanks for the tips. ...Cheers....Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
            Setting of later, to spend just over a week in the New Galloway Forrest. There's loads of old logging trails to explore, so I'll try to take a few nice piccies to post when I get back.....Cheers....Mick.
            I'd be very interested in how you get on. I'm working in Cairnryan at the moment and fancy doing a bit of walking out here. The forest drives sound great!

Comment

Hi all. Just got back from my weeks laning in S. W. Scotland. Fantastic! We avoided any tracks that said private, or no unauthorised access and we still found scores of old logging trails and green lanes. Saw over a dozen Surfs but got no response when we waved. We did, however get a wave and a thumbs up from a guy in a heavily modded SWB Landy. (SMC member?)
              @ Smiffy. Thanks for the tip on the Carrick road. We hadn't been on that route before, but it took us out towards Loch Doon, were we had done a few lanes, previously....
              @gbv2. You'll find plenty lanes to drive. They're all pretty gentle and not very challenging, but some of the views are spectacular!.....Enjoy....
              A few pics....Cheers....Mick.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MWS; 29 August 2011, 20:00.

Comment

Wow...that looks great. Wish we would have had more time up that way when we were there visiting yoshie for the sliders. Good excuse for another trip though...
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

Just bumping this thread for gbv2.... I noticed that you were online, Gary, and that you said that you were interested in how we got on. funnily enough, we passed through Cairnryan on Saturday after taking the coast road down from Kilmarnock. The harbour and sea views are Port Patrick and Sandhead. Hope they inspire you....Cheers....Mick.
                  Last edited by MWS; 29 August 2011, 20:49. Reason: Spelling!

Comment

Mick, great pics you have there! Looks and sounds like you had a great time. I'm working at the new Stena Terminal so you drove right past me lol.
                    We go over to Portpatrick for some food and a beer occasionally. It's a beautiful place. I definitely plan to go to the Galloway Forest. Something 'lite' like you say.

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                      Mick, great pics you have there! Looks and sounds like you had a great time. I'm working at the new Stena Terminal so you drove right past me lol.
                      We go over to Portpatrick for some food and a beer occasionally. It's a beautiful place. I definitely plan to go to the Galloway Forest. Something 'lite' like you say.
                      Ha ha ha! We drove past the new Stenna Line place, southbound, and then got really confused when we saw the P&O one..........Cheers....Mick.

Comment

Nice pic's Mick & the weather looked ok aswell.
                        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                          Nice pic's Mick & the weather looked ok aswell.
                          The weather is always OK up here, there's just differing opinions as to what OK actually means (in this context).
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            The weather is always OK up here, there's just differing opinions as to what OK actually means (in this context).
                            A rainy week on holiday in Scotland is better than a sunny week at work, back in England!....Actually, the weather was good. Sometimes sunny, sometimes a bit overcast and very little rain (mostly late at night when it didn't matter, anyway)....Love Scotland...Looking forward to our next trip, next April/May.....Cheers....Mick.

Comment

Working...
                            X