Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp and woofer!

Hi All
    As we all probably realise the original sound system fitted to the surf's is pretty feeble I have been wanting to improve this for a while I have a new head unit with rca out and have just blagged a sub and amp

Now just need some hints/suggestions on the fitting of it.
    Would any one recommend fitting the amp under passenger seat?
    The sub box is quite ugly so that is going into the "boot".

Would there be any pros cons to fitting the amp and the sub behind the rear panels in the boot?

When running the power wiring from the battery to the amp do I run a + and - or can I just run a + and run the - to the nearest ground I can find?
    As ever all your help greatly appreciated.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Like this????

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70729

Run the + with decent, fused cable, use the nearest decent earth point.

The amp did fit (in a third gen).. it's not hit it's thermal cut out yet.....
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

Like the custom fit speaker housing ,slightly more effort than I was considering
      was gonna have the sub just floating around in the back

Will have a good rummage around in the back in day light before I make any decisions......
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Furrymuff....

I'll also be fitting an amp under the drivers seat (passenger seat already "full" with sat nav and TV tuner.....) I see no problems there... unless you go swimming a lot and expect a leak!

I have since added a fitted metal grille to protect teh sub...

Good thing as when transporting the M3 wheels to be refubed one rolled and hit it pretty hard... the grille is now dented

- on the pluss point it still proves the truck is no less practical!
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

something like this then

here

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I'd put the amp with the sub in the back - or even in the sub. From a technical point of view, the shorter the speaker cables, the better.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

i had the same problem so i fitted mine like this:

with an 8 gauge cable direct from battery with a 60amp inline fuse at the battery, the took the negative from below the seat belt fixing under rear seats, ran RCA cables down left hand side and positive down right hand side, but if i was to do it again i would run RCA's down the middle of the truck as they pick up intereference on the left hand side from the wiring loom,

Comment

Well,the story so far popped out to halfrauds and got a wiring kit for the amp(600W for future use),read up on 12volt electrics(don't really have much experience with this)
                pulled the dash apart and had a go.
                At the mo' the sub and the amp are just in the back behind the seats.
                Will see how I get on with this set up never having had a sub/amp set up before it is all a learning curve.
                All the cables routed out of harms way,all the dash and trims went back in better than they came out,used only one or two expletives.

More pics to follow

Pic 1 should look lovely with a bit of polish.
                Pic 2 fuse holder hidden away.
                Pic 3 Bulkhead Grommet O/S.
                Pic 4 Trim out and fixed the broken fuel flap lever.
                Pic 5 Checking for remote switch feed to amp.
                Pic 6 What a very convienent earth point.

The Halfrauds kit had everything that I needed to do the wiring except for a couple of cable ties needed to stop hot/spinning things from melting or snagging the new power cables.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by shokenore; 20 August 2011, 15:02.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Ok just an update had the sub/amp for a week now.
                  SHMBO has commented"well its a bit loud I don't know if I like it"
                  FFS!!!
                  So now going to fit a switch to kill the power to the amp remote that I can use when I am driving MY surf!!
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                  X