Chassis Paint - Enamel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis Paint - Enamel?

Refurbing my truck with a new body and whilst in the process will be sorting my chassis out to get rid of the rusty bits.

Ben looking at rust treatments and paints. I have decided on something called FERTAN as it seems to be widely used on marine stuff and works out cheaper than Ferrozinc. Thats should treat and protect the metal work after I have stripped it with a grinder (wire brush and flapper wheel).

Next is choosing a paint for the chassis itself once treated - I am not going to use Hammerite as expensive and has mixed reviews. Ive been looking at various paint solutions. Chassis black is a favourite but I have also found a reasonably priced 5ltr tin of Regal Enamel in black.

Will enamel be suitable for the application? If so considering the Fertan leaves a protective layer behind and can be painted over do I need to consider a primer?

Hammerite is ok, well i found it so, prob is it's expensive, any good metal paint will be ok i guess,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

mmmmm i know somebody who will be looking at this post
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

How good looking do you want the finish, and how hard wearing.
        If i was fully spraying my chassis is do it with a hard wearing stone chip guard, you can get it in aerosol or in large tins, it will be hard wearing, water resistant and cheap.
        Animal
        PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

given its not a hardcore offroad beast (got my vitara for that) i think it would be good if it looks nice going to paint various bits silver such as panhard rod so nice shiny black finish on chassis would look good.

Have found some grey zinc oxide primer as well so between the rust treatment, zinc oxide primer and couple of coats of enamel should be pretty well protected!

Any cavity wax at reasonable price someine can suggest? Waxoyl is a given but wasnt sure if anyone had used an alternative.

Comment

Waxoyl

Originally posted by Bayside View Post
            given its not a hardcore offroad beast (got my vitara for that) i think it would be good if it looks nice going to paint various bits silver such as panhard rod so nice shiny black finish on chassis would look good.

Have found some grey zinc oxide primer as well so between the rust treatment, zinc oxide primer and couple of coats of enamel should be pretty well protected!

Any cavity wax at reasonable price someine can suggest? Waxoyl is a given but wasnt sure if anyone had used an alternative.
            I can get you Black Waxoyl for around £20 wholesale,£29 in the local factors,about the same as in Halfords.Waxoyl underseal seems to stick but its not shiny.What about nice shiny black for chassis and then get it laquer coated to keep it that way.Look up jetskidavids thread on a body off job,now the chassis on his motor looked really good.

If you are doing a body off job,what about hot dip galvanizing,oooooohhh shiny.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chassis-Bl...item27bcfce32e

As used on Lexurfs.
              Sticks well to plastics and bumpers too as long as there is a good key.

Comment

Originally posted by HONEST AL View Post
                I can get you Black Waxoyl for around £20 wholesale,£29 in the local factors,about the same as in Halfords.Waxoyl underseal seems to stick but its not shiny.What about nice shiny black for chassis and then get it laquer coated to keep it that way.Look up jetskidavids thread on a body off job,now the chassis on his motor looked really good.

If you are doing a body off job,what about hot dip galvanizing,oooooohhh shiny.
                May take you up on that for the underside of the body. What about Cavity wax or is it one pot does all job?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chassis-Bl...item27bcfce32e

As used on Lexurfs.
                  Sticks well to plastics and bumpers too as long as there is a good key.
                  Got a bargain 5ltr tin of Black enamel and another of grey zinc oxide primer. Rust pretreater I got at a good price also from an online chandlery. Did look at this stuff too - was a price thing in the end as the other black was too good to pass on.

Comment

Black Waxoyl

Just got back from the wholesalers ,gallon tin of sprayable waxoyl,Black or clear, £19.12 inc the dreaded vat,and a 1ltr tin of the Waxoyl sticky stuff(body shultz do they call it) for the chassis £3.77 PLUS vat.

So you know what I will be doing for the rest of the week !!
                    Let me know if you want some

Comment

Originally posted by HONEST AL View Post
                      Just got back from the wholesalers ,gallon tin of sprayable waxoyl,Black or clear, £19.12 inc the dreaded vat,and a 1ltr tin of the Waxoyl sticky stuff(body shultz do they call it) for the chassis £3.77 PLUS vat.

So you know what I will be doing for the rest of the week !!
                      Let me know if you want some
                      will let you know about the black spray on waxoyl as will need this for inside the chassis rails etc.

Got pretty much everything else apart from some silver paint for a few of the underneath bits on show.

Comment

Working...
                      X