Charge coolers! oppinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge coolers! oppinions?

Jeez! is this site quiet or wot, anyway what do you who know think of water cooled intercoolers? haveing had to alter one of the ports on mine i was thinking of encaseing the fins and home - makeing a pumped water cooled system, small cooling rad (the old rear heater one) mounted just below the front bumper and a resovior, i'm not expecting race car results but just as a project, gotta be cooler than air,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

I think everyone has been arrested for rioting Ian.
    sounds like a plan, and well worth a go. Apache, when he went homo for a bit, and got some hairdressers car...that had charge cooling I believe.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Ian I would love to do this to mine. It was on the cards but currently saving money for something else at the mo.

If you are going down this route, you should look into water injection, an EGT temp gauge to monitor the engine running and look at increasing fuel delivery.

The general idea is that water injection is better than any intercooler can be. As things are so much more efficient, you can increase fuel delivery but you should watch that your exhaust gas temperature does not get too high. A charge cooler on top of that is also a plus.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

In my experience you need a much larger water rad in order to shed heat quickly. Something the size of an aircon rad...

In theory it should perform FAR better than a top mount interwarmer.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

A lot of faff for very little gain on a 2.4 IMO considering all that weight it's lugging around at the moment. (not you by the way)

You're better off re-gearing the diffs Ian.

Comment

Cheer's (both) ok well here the plan so far, i have the large L200 (i think) intercooler and some alloy plate and a sealey bench sheet bender on the way, i was thinking of an inlet at the back, say airline bulkhead fitting, and one at the front at the top, same fitting, the small (rear heater) matrix fixed in the air flow just below the front bumper, and i have a screen washer resovior from a bus, (aint figured where to stick that yet,) it has a pump and pickup but it's 24volt, i did test it on 12v and it pumped quite well, i assume you done need a great deal of "flow" through the intercooler rad, just enough to keep it flowing, i can vent the washer bottle up one of the (not in use) snorkel tubes, so it higher up than the highest point on the system, which means it not a pressured system, and therefor no pressure on the alloy caseing i fit, which i was thinking of fixing on with silicone, (btw i been looking at water pumps "electric 12v" on ebalg and F me what a price!! there were some 12v rule boat bilge pumps and if the old bus thingy dont cut it i might try one of them, there £15)
            i doubt these pumps are 100% duty so i'll need to wire it so it works in short periods, anyway i'll take some pics as it progresses and see what happens,
            i've "tweaked" almost everything else i can think of to get the old thing near to "normal" not expecting a major increase in power etc,
            Last edited by POPEYE; 13 August 2011, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              A lot of faff for very little gain on a 2.4 IMO considering all that weight it's lugging around at the moment. (not you by the way)

You're better off re-gearing the diffs Ian.
              your probably right but ya know how i like fiddleing anyway i dont have the faintest idea how to regear the diffs

Comment

The pump on my GT-Four was similar size to a starter motor, so pumped pretty hard! The cooler itself was about 12" x 10" and about 2" thick, and the water rad was about the size of an aircon rad off a 3.0, just to give you an idea.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Mix your intercooler cooling water with 50% Methanol. Raises the boiling point of water, helps keep the water cooler for longer, and slows down evaporation.

Ultimate water wetter.
                  Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                    Mix your intercooler cooling water with 50% Methanol. Raises the boiling point of water, helps keep the water cooler for longer, and slows down evaporation.

Ultimate water wetter.

See post #5.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      See post #5.
                      Yes...OK...and...

lol...Sorry, confused
                      Now it's time to play!

Comment

I'm with Bushy on the regear but tbh I'd say just buy a 3.0 and swap all the good stuff over to it.

Much as I love my 2.4 as soon as my 3.0 is sorted the 2.4 is history..... There really is that much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          The pump on my GT-Four was similar size to a starter motor, so pumped pretty hard! The cooler itself was about 12" x 10" and about 2" thick, and the water rad was about the size of an aircon rad off a 3.0, just to give you an idea.
                          righio Andy, looks like the stuff i have will be pretty much useless then, thanks for the advice, i'll have a rethink

Comment

Also GT-4 charge coolers are pretty few and far inbetween... the MR2 lot snaffle them all up!
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

Never encase an air to air intercooler to make a water to air, unless you want to hydrolock the engine at some stage.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X