Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Replacement - Instead of bolting to dash

Hi all,

I've been reading the old threads on radio installs. One had a very good step by step installation guide, with photos etc. Couldn't be better for a newbie!!!

I'm wondering though...you know how most radios just slide in and out of the cage using a tool at either side of the radio. Is it possible to install a new radio into the Surf like this instead of the original way of bolting it to the dash/bulkhead?

Could you attach a cage to the bulkhead - and then have the radio slide in and out???

Also - what are the choices? A single din and a pocket...or a double din and no pocket?

Thanks in advance.
    92 Manual, 93 auto, 03 Dual Cab, 95 Single Cab

Originally posted by Big_ben View Post
    Hi all,

I've been reading the old threads on radio installs. One had a very good step by step installation guide, with photos etc. Couldn't be better for a newbie!!!

I'm wondering though...you know how most radios just slide in and out of the cage using a tool at either side of the radio. Is it possible to install a new radio into the Surf like this instead of the original way of bolting it to the dash/bulkhead?

Could you attach a cage to the bulkhead - and then have the radio slide in and out???

Also - what are the choices? A single din and a pocket...or a double din and no pocket?

Thanks in advance.
    If you use a single din, then yes, you can just slide it in and out, but double din, you'd need to use the existing cage and you're stuck to having to bolt it in - mind you, it's more hassle for those light fingered feckers who may want to enjoy your stereo more than you....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Good thinking....for the hassle of putting it in once it's probably worth it.

Unless the knackers do more damage trying to pull it out!!!!

Comment

Also the "slide in" ones don't tend to sit as well.
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Radios

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
          Ben,if you are after an original item I have the double din Clarion unit out of my truck,perfect working order,no marks looks new.I have the brackets,no manual but I fathomed the controls by trial and error.It looks a bit like a Wurlitzer organ when you fire it up,you can have it free if you cover the postage,let me know if you are interested,Regards,Alan

Comment

Hi Alan,

Very sound of you to offer!! Thanks.

Is it from an import...? The reason I ask is that there is an aftermarket radio in it at the moment - but must have been put in when the surf was still in japan - as it suffers from the usual craic of not picking up the full bandwith of radio frequencies.

If yours is the original from Japan it would probably suffer from the same issue?

Ben

Comment

CLARION adz628r

Ben,firstly apologies for delay in reply,been a bit busy.
              All I can tell you is that mine is a 3ltr td import and the Clarion was in it when I got it,connected to the standard electric aerial.On the label underneath it states
              LW 153-279khz
              MW 531-1602khz
              FM(UKW)88.5-108mhz (model number as above)

and if memory serves me I never found fault with it.Even Classic fm reception was fine.I changed the aerial to one of those vandal proof rubber things and still reception was ok,far better than my present JVC unit,but I rarely listen to the radio anyway.If you can tell me what/where to look and what for I will have a look,other than that I will try and get my youngest to put a photo up tomorrow so you can have a look at the model.No problem if it is no good to you ,but it is going to waste here and I dont want to just throw it out.Alan

Comment

Clarion Radio

Ben as promised, here(hopefully) are some pice of that radio,let me know what you think,as I said,its not a problem if its no good to you,Alan
                Last edited by HONEST AL; 30 March 2012, 18:23.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Very sound of you to offer!! Thanks.

Is it from an import...? The reason I ask is that there is an aftermarket radio in it at the moment - but must have been put in when the surf was still in japan - as it suffers from the usual craic of not picking up the full bandwith of radio frequencies.

If yours is the original from Japan it would probably suffer from the same issue?

Ben
                  Don't roughtrax and ebay sell an adaptor for pence that solves this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by mr.rosco View Post
                    Don't roughtrax and ebay sell an adaptor for pence that solves this issue?
                    Shouldn't be needed. 88.5-108MHz covers just about everything broadcast in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X