Off roading and red diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off roading and red diesel

If I buy a truck without road going status, tax, test, insurance, and trailer it to a private pay and play site, I assume I can run it on red diesel without any legal problems?

I'm almost 100% sure I would be okay, but better safe than sorry, eh?
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

yep
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I would think that if it was trailered on roads then there would be no reason to have the tank dipped?
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

The only problem I can think of is if the off-road only vehicle is returned to the road at some point.

Is it true that red diesel stains internal surfaces (fuel pipes, injection pipes, etc) that it comes into contact with?

It'd probably be worthwhile making sure that you can't accidentally contaminate your on road vehicles with it too.

Comment

There was a case recently of a farmer who was cutting the pitch for a local football team (totally free, as a volunteer) and he was done because the tractor was on red diesel.
          The ruling was you can only use red in connection with agriculture/horticulture.

I always thought that plant machinery could also be run on it, but not according to HMRC
          What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Originally posted by meooo View Post
            cutting the pitch for a local football team
            Is it me or does that sound like a dodgy euphemism?!

Don't know much about Red deisel law, but personally, I can't see how, if you are not using a vehicle on the road, or for profit elsewhere, that you couldn't use it?
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by meooo View Post
              There was a case recently of a farmer who was cutting the pitch for a local football team (totally free, as a volunteer) and he was done because the tractor was on red diesel.
              The ruling was you can only use red in connection with agriculture/horticulture.

I always thought that plant machinery could also be run on it, but not according to HMRC
              You can certainly run generators on it cos I know a few guys that live on canal boats that do it and you can usually find it available from the pump at a few of the local marinas around here.

I think the answer that Mr Scorpion is looking for can be found here, in section 2, part B1.

If you can't be arsed to read it, as long as the vehicle is covered by SORN and used exclusively off road you're in the clear.

Comment

Working...
              X