Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will another head fit LN130?

Hi folks,

I hear the 2.8 3l head will fit my 2.4 if the head is gone....?

Are any other heads compatible??? I'd imagine there are a lot more crashed Hiaces than Surfs in scrapyards??
    92 Manual, 93 auto, 03 Dual Cab, 95 Single Cab

Don't use an old head.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I know it's FAR from ideal....but if the head went and it was a crashed one which hadn't given head trouble....what would be the issue? You just wouldn't get as good a seal as a new one??

Still....are any others compatible. The reason I ask is I rang toyota to get a quote for a head. (just to see how prices compared to Roughtrax.) And the head for the 2.8 was cheaper new than the 2.4?? So if there are other models which are compatible and more commonly available....it might work out better if getting a new one.

Comment

AFIK, the 2.8 (3L) head is the only one that can be interchanged.

The advice from this old head is: Unless you know the history of a 2nd hand head, don't fit it.

Roughtrax or Steveo can supply new heads at a reasonable price.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!!!

I'll definately take that on board. But any other details on WHY not? I'm the type who likes to get things working and it would annoy me not knowing why?!

Was going to go with roughtrax if it turns out I need one. If I get the one which doesn't need to be amchined - is it just the head, gasket and bolts (and cam belt maybe?) that I'd need? How long a job is it?

B

Comment

I wouldn't use a 2nd hand head as it may already be fcuked and you wouldn't know until you ran it.

New gaskets, bolts and timing belt are essential, I'd do the water pump too.

Depending on how handy you are with tools, the job will take anything from about 8 hours to a very long 2 days.

Comment

Your 2nd hand head will need skimming and pressure testing and even then after pressure testing you have no idea if there are any internal fissures/cracks without x-ray or ultrasound checking.

We get this with Subarus and heads cracking around the sparkplug ports but you can't always see the cracks because they are several mm under the surface.

I don't know of many automotive re-engineering companies outside of high end motorsport, heavy automotive/marine or aerospace engineering that have ultrasound or x-ray facilities for checking metal fatigue.

I've just looked at the Roughtrax site and i have to say prices look pretty good. Just don't forget a new set of head bolts!!
              Now it's time to play!

Comment

I know plenty of places that will carry out NDT on a cylinder head, but it's not cheap.

By the time the head has been, removed (time) bought, tested and possibly skimmed (with no guarantee that it is OK), gaskets bought and head bolts bought, I'd rather buy a new head kit...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  By the time the head has been, removed (time) bought, tested and possibly skimmed (with no guarantee that it is OK), gaskets bought and head bolts bought, I'd rather buy a new head kit...
                  Completely agree!!
                  Both of my Toyotas (Hiace 2.4 and the Runner) have run for months with cracked heads.Just because they have been crashed,dose'nt mean they did'nt have a cracked head!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Fair enough lads.....just wanted to get a better understanding of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X