I'm buying another 4x4!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm buying another 4x4!

Don't worry, I'm still keeping the Surf. I fancy some off roading at the local centre and I've decided to buy a trailer and a cheap 4x4 to do the business. The thing is I'm undecided as what to buy, nothing as big as a Surf so I'm considering a Vitara, a SWB Pajero or something similar.

I don't want to spend a fortune on the trailer, so the weight it can carry is important, the lighter the weight the cheaper they are. I've been looking on eBay etc and also the local rags for something decent. There seems to be a good few to choose from so I'll have a good look around. I'm hoping to get a decent trailer for around £500 and perhaps the same for a truck without an MOT.

I'll let you know how I get on.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

If you keep your eyes open you can find quite a few (apparently) well sorted Vitaras for £500 - £1000, particularly in places like Pistonheads & the odd one on fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
      Don't worry, I'm still keeping the Surf. I fancy some off roading at the local centre and I've decided to buy a trailer and a cheap 4x4 to do the business. The thing is I'm undecided as what to buy, nothing as big as a Surf so I'm considering a Vitara, a SWB Pajero or something similar.

I don't want to spend a fortune on the trailer, so the weight it can carry is important, the lighter the weight the cheaper they are. I've been looking on eBay etc and also the local rags for something decent. There seems to be a good few to choose from so I'll have a good look around. I'm hoping to get a decent trailer for around £500 and perhaps the same for a truck without an MOT.

I'll let you know how I get on.
      The trailer needs to be braked to carry anything over 750kg so that's all trucks, only a purpose built buggy would fall below that weight Jim.

Also vitaras front diffs are made of very fragile alloy unless you get hold of an axle from a vit diesel.
      The SJs are cheap easy to fix and great fun however, they run on cart springs and not great on an older back

Buy an mot failure disco, remove the body an drop a tube cage on it, move the steering center the seat, buy a waterproof suit and enjoy a diesel gocart {great fun for a few hundered pound} loads of dirt cheap spares and mods out there.
      Last edited by yoshie; 27 July 2011, 19:02.
      Brian

Comment

Thanks for the info, Brian. I'm not looking to do anything major off road, the Pea Farm off road centre I mentioned a while back looks like mud, hills and dirt tracks. Quite a few of the guys who get up there have bog standard Vits, with mud tyres on them, I'll get a little cheapie first and see how it goes.

You never know mate, one of these days I may even make it to the Clog!
        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

How about something like this? Or is that too small?

The car may be over the budget, but you might balance with a trailer like this. Twin axle, front ones braked, with a winch. It might need a bit of work to make it more practical, but all of the basics seem to be there.

Best of luck with the purchase.

EDIT: I just noticed a Surf in the backround of that trailer ad; any chance it belongs to someone on here? The seller name is petem1158.
          Last edited by Fey!; 27 July 2011, 19:47.

Comment

Ignore all of the above. Look what's back!

Comment

i loved the kosac thing lada made
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
              X