Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlamp query?

Hello All
    This question is really for all/any of you familiar with the technical side of the law.
    Let me explain,in a attempt to get more lighting from the headlights can I rewire the headlights so that on full beam both dipped and full beam are on?
    Now is this legal and if so what is likely to melt/catch fire?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
    Hello All
    This question is really for all/any of you familiar with the technical side of the law.
    Let me explain,in a attempt to get more lighting from the headlights can I rewire the headlights so that on full beam both dipped and full beam are on?
    Now is this legal and if so what is likely to melt/catch fire?
    Hello Ady. Instead of that, why not try the headlight loom upgrade thats available. After that you could consider fitting some higher wattage upgraded lamps. For H4's you can get up to 90w/160w.....Cheers....mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
      Hello Ady. Instead of that, why not try the headlight loom upgrade thats available. After that you could consider fitting some higher wattage upgraded lamps. For H4's you can get up to 90w/160w.....Cheers....mick.
      I have a feeling that high power lamps can leave you crossing the line into the long arms of the law, although I couldn't quote you how/why without a bit of a hunt around for it.

Chances are you would get away with it (I know I did for years with an old motorbike of mine that had a 90w/130w lamp in the headlight)

However, there are plenty of vehicles that have both high/low beam on simultaneously (my old Celica for example) so I doubt there is any legal problems from it.

The problem that you might find is that purely from a temperature point of view the lamps may well stop working cos they overheat. My old Celica had two seperate headlamp units on either side of the bonnet - one pair for main beam and another pair for high beam (as well as the front fog lights)

If it was me I'd upgrade the headlight wiring and see how that improves things before venturing down the route of higher power lamps.

Comment

I think the maximum legal wattage is 60w for headlights

I have higher wattage (either 80w or 100w I can't remember) in my BMW and never been stopped but ... you never know

Comment

There are plenty of replacement bulbs within the legal limit that will improve lighting no end. Alternatively you could try an aftermarket universal H4 HID kit. Very bright and low wattage (c. 35watts).

No need to go for big wattage bulbs, and potentially come MOT time it could be a fail.

I've been tempted to do the same high wattage bulbs myself with the Subaru, but when i saw how good the latest legal bulbs were it was a no brainer.

I'll do the same with the Surf because these standard halogens are hopeless!!

ETA: AutoExpress headlamp tests. Brief but they get the point across.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...ent_white.html
          Last edited by ROMEROTECH; 22 July 2011, 19:26.
          Now it's time to play!

Comment

Good find !

Nothing at all to do with it rating the Nightbreaker Plus as the top lamp when I've been raving about Nightbreakers for years ...

PS
            They ARE relatively short lived but the light and pattern is excellent

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
              There are plenty of replacement bulbs within the legal limit that will improve lighting no end. Alternatively you could try an aftermarket universal H4 HID kit. Very bright and low wattage (c. 35watts).

No need to go for big wattage bulbs, and potentially come MOT time it could be a fail.

I've been tempted to do the same high wattage bulbs myself with the Subaru, but when i saw how good the latest legal bulbs were it was a no brainer.

I'll do the same with the Surf because these standard halogens are hopeless!!

ETA: AutoExpress headlamp tests. Brief but they get the point across.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...ent_white.html
              I *think* that HID lamps/lenses/etc are an MOT fail unless they have some sort of self levelling mechanism and washers (or something similar). Expect them to be cracked down on by the rozzers at some point.

Comment

HID conversions have always been illegal (unless they are self levelling), they're just being cracked down on now.

I use the fancy Halfords lamps with 4crawler's harness. My lights are now as good as they need to be.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for the info,just checked the voltage at the lamp bases, hmmm 13.8volts at the battery,11.9 volts at the lamps. Time to break out the soldering iron!!!!.

On a"slight" tangent. Chrome paint, well what I'm after would have to have a highly reflective surface and have good heat resistance.
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Buy the 4crawler harness, it's an easy plug 'n' play fix. Much easier than re-wiring the headlights ones self.

That said, if you go to his site, he describes how to do the conversion.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Look at this company for a heatproof reflective coating. Normal paint, even chrome, will have issues with high heat. http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/

I use Black Satin ceramic coating on my Subaru headers/uppipe/exhaust system. Will take 1000F heat and only warm to the touch

They do a chrome effect ceramic paint with the same heat withstanding properties.

Not cheap and was £90 for half litre but by crud it's good stuff!! Goes a long way, i still have some left!!

ETA: I had no idea about the HID conversion legal issues. Glad i know now!!
                      Now it's time to play!

Comment

I think a trip to halfrauds tomorrow for some new relays will suffice.In my defence I did do my version of the headlamp wiring loom.Good quality multi strand silicone cable ,soldered all the crimps ,ran the cables in sleeves ,silicone grease on the headlamp connectors and forget to think about water-proofing the relays or should I say corroded black oxo cubes ho hum live and learn !!!

And thanks for all the info as usual greatly appreciated.
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                          Look at this company for a heatproof reflective coating. Normal paint, even chrome, will have issues with high heat. http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/

They do a chrome effect ceramic paint with the same heat withstanding properties.

Not cheap and was £90 for half litre but by crud it's good stuff!! Goes a long way, i still have some left!!
                          Thanks for the link but I will scrub the idea of re-chroming the inside of my headlamps as being a bloomin' stupid idea.
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            Buy the 4crawler harness, it's an easy plug 'n' play fix. Much easier than re-wiring the headlights ones self.

That said, if you go to his site, he describes how to do the conversion.
                            They aren't available from them at the moment (haven't been for a while) but apparently they are working on a new improved harness...

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OnLineOrdering

Comment

As we all like a happy ending I thought I had better update you.

Just received these off ebay
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2511069206...#ht_813wt_1139

So at my present speed should have the upgraded wiring loom fitted by 2013
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X