Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeal when decelerating

Hi all

My 3ltr KZN185 has started squealing when I decelerate. It's had new belts and a new water pump but it was making the noise before this. It doesn't sound like a belt squeal - it really sounds like a pulley when they wobble a bit but I don't which it's likely to be (or how many there are!).

Any ideas? It driving me nuts - and yes I have checked the forum and there are no mice, stuck cats, or wives on board.

Help appreciated!

Cheers

Vincent

PS Wives are like clouds - every now and then they go away and you have a great day!

Hi mate, just got your voicemail. It could be the UJ's can't remember them being loose when I greased them, but they could be tight and making a noise when load is applied back up the shaft when you decelerate.

Does it do it in AWD and 2WD?

Double check the AFT fluid, just in case. Maybe the new belts stretched a bit, (I tend to tighten belts the minimum needed, as rather retighten later than ruining water pump bearings), or the A/C idler is worn, but it normally does it when you rev it, not just on slowing down. Didn't really listen for noise after as waterpump was so knackered I assumed it was that.

Can you pop in anytime?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine does this too. It's not drive related (at least in my truck) as it does it stationary at idle.

It seems to go away when I rev the engine... I assumed it was the air con idler, but the nut rounded off when trying to undo it and I have not investigated it since.....
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Air Con Idler

Hi All

After a quick look by Tony (God Bless Him!) he suggested I remove the aircon belt and see if it stopped. It has - at least I think! So it's now either the pulley or the air con unit - my guess is it's the pulley as it wobbles. The question is a new pulley (Toyota) or a replacement bearing from Roughtrax - has anyone tried the latter?

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=620&vid=955

Cheers

Vincent

Comment

The bearing is easy to replace, and yours was loose, I'd do that first anyway. Its easy to change if you own a pair of circlip pliers. Its a standard bearing if you have somewhere local that sells power transmission stuff or bearings. Although you probably won't get it much cheaper over the counter unless your in the trade.

If you need the A/C clutch come and see me first, I have lots of used pumps we could steal one off.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I was going to suggest braking a little earlier than usual. It usually works for me in stopping the squeeling (from the passenger seat).

Comment

Auto Box Squeal

OK - replaced the AC tensioner bearing (roughtrax) and a 10 min job - but Agggghhhh - it still squeals. On some runs it won't squeal at all. But mostly it does. It squeals without the AC belt on, though it didn't when I did that test the first time!

Anyway am now convinced it's the auto box - can anyone suggest where to go to get someone to look at it who knows what they're doing and of course Toyota Auto boxes - Tony do you do this?

Cheers

Vincent

Comment

Working...
              X