X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mot fail!

Hi everyone

Im after a little advice please.

The good old truck failed on 3 items today.

1 - side lights not working
    2 - Fog light internal indicator lamp not working
    3 - Welding required on O/S Seat Belt anchorage

Having just installed a new side light less than 24 hours ago, I asked the garage to come out with me and look at the car. Switched on the lights and hey presto they worked. The garage replied 'they wernt working when we tested them'

The fog light switch, was its self hangnig out of the dash mount and one of the crimps had slipped off, fair enough, but it was right at the end of the crimp. - not really bothered about that as quick fix.

Last item, when I questioned what needs welding, they told me their is rust within 12 inches of the mounting. I have checked top and bottom of the area and the entire truck is mint metalwork wise.

The bolt that screws down the belt is rust coloured in thetop, but it is an M12? large and solid!

Any suggestions??

I would suggest going to another garage.

They probably wont back down on the rust thing.

Just go somewhere else and suffer the cost.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Complain to VOSA.
      The tester is being unreasonable. Do they carry out repairs as well by any chance?

Comment

Did they actually show you rust? I'd fix the other bits then whizz it back and get them to show you what they want welded. The MOT guy might be in a better mood today, or someone else might look at it and say its fine.

If they are being unreasonable then either cut your losses and go somewhere else and get another test, or complain, but if you complain I wouldn't bother going back in the future, they'll remember you..
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

See this link posted by Bushy!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71355

Comment

It just sounds like the tester had seen his own ar$e that day, as above I'd cut my losses & go elsewhere.

Please feel free to name & shame so that nobody else gets stung.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Sparkyaj - not Perfect Service in Newton at fault, I hope? I have always found them really helpful.
              Can you say where this MoT station was so we can avoid it?
              Cheers,
              Mark

Comment

According to the moneysavingexpert site, it may be better to take the vehicle to the nearest council MOT station for testing. If they test and find it okay, you can claim back the fee from the other garage, however I am not sure how the foglight issue would effect a reclaim, but a partial reclaim is better than no reclaim!

Comment

You can't reclaim any of the cost of a failure if the car had valid fails.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

In my experience of failures due to rust, and in owning a Mk1 MR2 there have been many, the tester usually marks the area in question when there are rusty bits in need of welding.

Comment

Working...
                    X