yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Law regarding Towing a Broken Down Vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Law regarding Towing a Broken Down Vehicle?

Hi, I have an LN130 and a friend has a T4 Transporter which is broken (big time!).

He needs to get it home which is about 8 miles from where it stopped.

What's the law regarding me towing him?

I have a tow bar, tow pole etc and he has a proper toe eye but what else do I need?

Flasy yellow lights, on tow sign etc? I've seen these used but I don't know what is required and what is optional.

He'll be steering and all his lights work but do I still need a tow plate with my reg and my indicators and brake lights etc.?

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
    Hi, I have an LN130 and a friend has a T4 Transporter which is broken (big time!).

He needs to get it home which is about 8 miles from where it stopped.

What's the law regarding me towing him?

I have a tow bar, tow pole etc and he has a proper toe eye but what else do I need?

Flasy yellow lights, on tow sign etc? I've seen these used but I don't know what is required and what is optional.

He'll be steering and all his lights work but do I still need a tow plate with my reg and my indicators and brake lights etc.?

Thanks,

Ray.
    Hopefully the transporter's kerbweight is less than 1500kg otherwise legally you cannot tow it. If he has the key in the ignition and the lights, brakes and indicators are working, I don't really see a problem. The problem may be the brakes which may require the engine to be running in order for them to work. Hopefully others will also offer some advice.
    Last edited by Surf01; 13 June 2011, 16:15.

Comment

TBH, if its obvious you're actually 'recovering' it, not transporting it you'll probably not get much crap unless you do something seriously silly.

8 miles isn't far, carboard 'on tow' sign and hazards and drive slowly, I'd try not to look to professional with beacons and such like, that'll just look like a shoddy garage or pikeys.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

That's a good point, well made!

Thanks good people!

Comment

no towing on motorways. and keep the lights going. might help with a new battery incase his goes flat if engine not running.

for further information ropes and chains are now not allowed has to be the solid bar frame for towing now. but then the old i didnt know that officer will work.

nice and steady wins the race...

Comment

I've been towed a lot over the years in various poor cars.
            I've probably broken quite a few laws with non-regulation tow ropes, being towed a few junctions down the M5, towing a car with expired tax.
            On a few occasions we've passed police cars who've just ignored us.

The only time I've been stopped by the police when being towed was one evening when he just wanted to check everything was OK and if we had far to go, as it would be safer to try and get off the road before it gets dark.

Be safe, be sensible, and it's unlikely the police will be bothered.
            Although, if they are bothered, I didn't say nuffing, you ain't seen me – right.

If you have a bar rather than a rope you’re already on the right side of the law.

Hazard lights on for the duration, although when indicating turn off the hazards and turn on the indicator.
            Try and do it during daylight and not during rush hour.

Oh, and from comedy experience I can suggest that you don't turn off the ignition to save the battery – because steering locks aren’t fun.

Comment

I have a tow pole, some cardboard and a marker pen so I think that's it then?

Thanks Guys,

Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X