Bit of a warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a warning

Dont suppose anyone's bothered to do the mod but i thought i should warn ya, a little while back i posted some wiring diags of stuff i'm fitting, one was this cooling fans etc diagram, well it's all in and working ok BUT i have noticed that the 5 pin relay that controlls all the fans and pump is continually "warm" when not in use (ie;- no fans or pump running running) i can only sumise that this is due to this relay being constantly "energised", this is due to the main feed coming from a battery feed(it has to be that way so the fans/pump will run on after the ign's turned off), this system was fitted for several years before i removed everything to re site all the extra's wiring into one place, originally this relay and the fan's ones were under the bonnet, i never noticed it being warm before but it must have been and this may be why i had power loss for ages, if i didn't use the truck for a few days the battery's went flat,

so couple of ways to fix it, either i rewire the 5 pin relay to an ign feed meaning the 5 pin isn't energised and the fans wont run on when the ign switched off or i get a timer delay (found one on CPC Farnell but is over £20 and it's a diy kit) this would allow fan over run on tha pre set time allowing cool down (it only ever runs on for a couple of minuits anyway, even after a long drive),
    so if anyone's thinking of doing this little mod just bear in mind this problem,
    cheap fix is to feed from the ign and when you switch off the ign/engine just switch it back on till the fans stop!

looking at the diag, all ya need do is replace the batt feed on terminal 2 on the toggle switch to a ign feed)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by POPEYE; 12 June 2011, 19:47.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Wonder if an interior light delay relay from a car might do it?
    Maybe they won't stay on for long enough tho'.

Anyway, this from Maplins should work

http://www.maplin.co.uk/universal-ti...fbcd2dde65941d

Universal Timer Kit

only £7.99

Push button start/stop
    Adjustable time-out period
    Single pole changeover relay (50V AC/DC @ 2A maximum) Applications:
    Control timer for dedicated equipment
    Safety control timer

Specifications:
    Power supply: +DC12V
    Quiescent current: 11mA
    Operating current: 40 to 61mA
    Timer interval: Several seconds to 15 minutes

I used a very similar one to switch off my ABS light to pass the MOT a few years ago.

Comment

Cheer's mate, thats the thing, practicly the same as the kit from CPC but much cheaper, i dont know what i do wrong but i searched on maplins site and found sod all, i did think about the timer from car interior light but as ya say probably not on long enough and i dont think their adjustable, i know maplins did do a interior light timer kit but as i couldn't find it i assumed they dropped it from their catalogue, thanks for that link, i can go to the one in portsmouth, helps if you can quote a part number or they useually say "no mate! dont do them"
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
      X