Aint been slackin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aint been slackin

Got somewhat sidetracked from me hi-fi install to make this!!
    it's a hoist to help me get the old womans buggy out of the truck (and one reason i'm looking at altering the tail gate) it's made from a lenght of steel gas pipe (that used to support the bird table) and my old pipe benders also a cut up road sign i found, (handy source of small metal angle)
    verious odds and sods of metal bar and plate,
    one of "Webbos" air cylinders to push the front bit out and a small 2000 lb winch i found on ebay (new and only £49 + post) it has a nice little remote hand held switch thing for up & down,
    made some brackets to support the top and bottom bearings (undo four 10mm bolts, the wiring and air pipes and the whole thing comes out)
    the metal bar that fits into each bearing is from an old "pry" bar, as i dont have a lathe i had to trim it to fit into the bearings with a grinder and file (a proper c## of a job)

btw! i'm after another one of these pullys (first pic) if anyone has one for sale, the winch supplyer cant help as they come (from china) as a kit, the pully wheel is about 3" dia, ta!

(last two pic's are the air comp just refitted and the fuse/realy board where all the power for "extra's" comes from, also to make it easier to get at i cut both sides of the rear trim off at the waste and fitted the speaker boxing and covers, both sides just hinge down for access to wiring etc plus the tail gate relay which was a right pain to get at, now i dont have to remove all the trim,

one small question! this winch, the instructions make no mention of a relay!! i assume as the hand held controll is wired "in-line" of the thick heavy duty cables all i need to do (haveing connected one pair to the winch motor) is to connect the other pair to the heavy duty feed to the fuse/relay board, and to earth,
    the hand held control comes with two pairs of pos & neg heavy duty cables coming from it, instructions say just connect one pair to the winch and theother pair to the supply, just wanted to check that this is right, only need for a relay would be if i was useing a regualr switch right?
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Jeez, never a dull moment eh?

Nice work mate, you are a mad fabricating genius.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      Jeez, never a dull moment eh?

Nice work mate, you are a mad fabricating genius.
      Cheer's Alan, not the words my wife would use but much apprecieated

Comment

Lots of winch advice and expertise over at the SMC site, I on the other hand don't do electickery, I tend to get it wrong.
        Alan

Comment

Blimey Ian, we're gonna have to start a V8 fund for your truck to pull all that fabrication around.

Top job as always.

Comment

Nice job Ian as always ....

I tend to get it wrong.
            I Bet ya tend to get a shock Alan
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
              Nice job Ian as always ....

I Bet ya tend to get a shock Alan
              I did nearly kill myself with 240 volts once, long time ago. Brian managed to set a truck on fire that only had 6 wires so we tend to avoid the stuff that sparks.
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Blimey Ian, we're gonna have to start a V8 fund for your truck to pull all that fabrication around.

Top job as always.
                I wish mate, although the 2.4's got some poke, i'll need to anchor this crane or the acceleration will shove it through the back window

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  I wish mate, although the 2.4's got some poke, i'll need to anchor this crane or the acceleration will shove it through the back window

Why have you got a back window made of tissue paper?
                  Alan

Comment

Why have you got a back window made of tissue paper?

btw forget the pully, my son in law's a boat rigger, he gonna sort one out for me

Comment

Ian. Your love and devotion to your missus is truly amazing, as are your legendary engineering skills and attention to detail. All the innovative stuff that you have posted over the years could warrant its own website. Greatest respect to you mate! If it had been my "old lady", I think that I would have had to make do with some rudimentary form of catapult system to launch her into the back, and then just make do with rolling her off the end of the tailgate!..................Che ers....Mick.
                      Last edited by MWS; 11 June 2011, 00:56.
                      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                        Ian. Your love and devotion to your missus is truly amazing, as are your legendary engineering skills and attention to detail. All the innovative stuff that you have posted over the years could warrant its own website. Greatest respect to you mate! If it had been my "old lady", I think that I would have had to make do with some rudimentary form of catapult system to launch her into the back, and the just make do with rolling her off the end of the tailgate!..................Che ers....Mick.
                        He doesn't make his wife travel in the boot you oaf.
                        Alan

Comment

He doesn't make his wife travel in the boot you oaf.
                          I know that, Alan, but the point that I'm making is that mine would have to, because I don't have the necessary engineering skills....Cheers....Mick.
                          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                            Ian. Your love and devotion to your missus is truly amazing, as are your legendary engineering skills and attention to detail. All the innovative stuff that you have posted over the years could warrant its own website. Greatest respect to you mate! If it had been my "old lady", I think that I would have had to make do with some rudimentary form of catapult system to launch her into the back, and then just make do with rolling her off the end of the tailgate!..................Che ers....Mick.
                            Ahah! i suppose it could be said that it's my love and devotion to the truck thats behind all this faffing about but that might be overstating it a bit, i do enjoy doing this "stuff" and i guess the easiest option would be to get rid of the surf and get a more "disabled friendly " car or van, but i would have no interest in it and wouldn't feel like modding it at all, this way i'm keeping my interest and also (i hope) makeing it easier for her, actually this crane is makeing it easier for me as it's me that has to lift the sodding buggy in and out, normally ok but when the siatica (? not sure how to spell it but i know what it feels like) kicks in i cant lift it, feels like being stabbed,
                            anyway thanks for the comment Mick, apprecieated,
                            the next major project if the fully powered up & down, in & out side step to help her actually get in on her own as opposed to the pull out step, step ladder and my hand up her arse to get her in

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                              Ahah! i suppose it could be said that it's my love and devotion to the truck thats behind all this faffing about but that might be overstating it a bit, i do enjoy doing this "stuff" and i guess the easiest option would be to get rid of the surf and get a more "disabled friendly " car or van, but i would have no interest in it and wouldn't feel like modding it at all, this way i'm keeping my interest and also (i hope) makeing it easier for her, actually this crane is makeing it easier for me as it's me that has to lift the sodding buggy in and out, normally ok but when the siatica (? not sure how to spell it but i know what it feels like) kicks in i cant lift it, feels like being stabbed,
                              anyway thanks for the comment Mick, apprecieated,
                              the next major project if the fully powered up & down, in & out side step to help her actually get in on her own as opposed to the pull out step, step ladder and my hand up her arse to get her in
                              I know where ya coming from Ian.
                              I'm the one disabled in our Family n my Truck is my comfort Daily/interest/motivation or dare I say it "love" even if the "missus has trouble getting in/out a step is suffice for her atmo !!
                              Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 11 June 2011, 11:18.
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X