Towing a trailer with a 2" lift ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a trailer with a 2" lift ?

Hi all, at the end of the month my OH and I will be taking the aw11 project to surrey rolling road for mapping and rolling road type stuff. We plan to tow her on a car trailer with the smurf but the OH is slightly worried about the suspension lift causing height issues with the trailer.

I'm hoping we'll be OK, what do you guys think?

Many thanks

Cassi

Just get a drop plate for the tow ball and you should be fine
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I had a 5" lift on my old 2nd gen and still towed a car trailer ok with a surf loaded on it
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks Stormforce, that sounds positive

Maybe the best bet is to take the truck down the rental place for a trial fit and if needed get a drop plate as suggested.

Comment

Hi,

It will be fine with a 2" sus lift, towed my race
          car all over the country with no probs.

Gman.
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Thanks Grassman Did you find it lifted the trucks front end much ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Chris W View Post
              Thanks Grassman Did you find it lifted the trucks front end much ?
              Hello mrs Chris,

Not at all.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m.../PICT0009a.jpg

Thats before I changed the rear springs, so no probs.

Gman.
              If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Brilliant We were a little worried about a 'floaty' front end. Many thanks all.

I don't suppose the track car weighed a lot either(what is by the way, can't quite make it out?), much like our project car.
                Only have one vid to post, I know a couple on here were interested in it. (warning, turn your speakers down).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBSaL...&feature=share

Comment

Carry more than half a tonne - don't really know max weight, as its either bricks, blocks, sand etc... regularly on my 8x4' trailer, 5 real inches of rear end lift... no drop plate, no front end lift or lightness... only thing is it takes a bit longer to get up to speed and a little more space to stop!
                  unless its fully loaded, I don't even know its there...
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Check your driving licence too. I only passed my test in 2004 and it's one of those new-fangled driving licences where I'm limited to towing an all-up weight of 3.5 tonnes without passing the new "towing test".

If you've had to renew your licence since whenever it was the law was changed it would probably be worth checking you're in the clear.

Comment

last august I towed my 84 supra on a flatbed auto hauler with the surf, 2" lift, and I had no problems, the weight of the trailer and all the parts I was loaded up with brought the rear down a bit, but no problems, I easily maintained a steady 120km/h on the highway hauling that car with my surf
                      and with the car, auto transport trailer, and all the parts I was loaded with, was probly pushing @4500-5k lbs easy..

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone Going on what you've all said, it should be a breeze.

OH is allowed to tow, he's had his license longer than me

Thanks again

Cassi.

Nukes, I had an '89 Supra....god I wish I never sold her

Comment

Working...
                        X